Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

incoming phone calls

New Poster

incoming phone calls

I frequently answer the phone,and all I can hear is static. Usually it seems that it is someone calling on a cell phone. I sure don't get it..is this a comcast problem,or perhaps my actual telephone itself. the phone service and the telephone are both new so I have no idea actually!!

Cable Expert

Re: incoming phone calls

Most static issues are caused by the inside phone wiring in the home with corrorded jacks & splices, damaged cabling, poor terminations and other mechanical issues with splices, jacks and cabling.  It can also be defective or damaged phone cords or the phone itself.  Cordless phones cause static issues with the radio portion of the base or handset.

The test is to disconnect the telephone cord from the eMTA's L1/L2 jack and plug in a known good wired phone directly to the eMTA's L1/L2 jack and give it a good test.

If bypassing the home's inside wiring fixes the static, then a qualified inside wiring installer or Comcast tech would need to come out to find and fix the wiring faults.

If the static continues with a known good wired phone connected directly to the eMTA, then please contact Comcast support and they will need to send out a tech to troubleshoot and possible replace the eMTA.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: incoming phone calls

Jay,

I've been having the same issues with incoming cell phone calls.  It is not an issue when the incoming call is from a landline - the call connects fine.  I reset the eMTA and even bought a new phone, and it is still an issue.

Please comment with any further ideas but I intend to call Comcast for further support.

Edd1 - still having the issue?