Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

have dial tone, but get busy signal on all outgoing calls

New Poster

have dial tone, but get busy signal on all outgoing calls

I have a dial tone on my COMCAST phone service, but every call only gets a busy signal on outgoing calls.

What's the reason for this and how can it get fixed?

I have tried to contact COMCAST technical support, but they were unable to help.

New Poster

Re: have dial tone, but get busy signal on all out

I,m having the same problem. I have a technician coming out today. Hopefully, he can figure out what is wrong.

New Poster

I now have the same issue with both my home phone and business line (separate lines/numbers).  Any feedback from the tech that came out what the issue was and how they fixed it?

Contributor

Seriously, they were unable to help???  I have the same issue and they better be able to help!  Obviously, by the sounds of everyone else talking about this issue here, including ME, it is a COMCAST problem!

New Poster

I'm having the same problem with my phone line after connecting the new modem I was sent. I have a dial tone but can't make any calls or receive them. I was wondering how long it took for your problem to get fixed. I'm now waiting for a senior tech rep to call me with more information and a solution. I find it strange that my phone line was working perfectly well before I installed the new modem and now I'm phoneless. It's very frustrating but I'm maintaining my patience. 

Contributor

@GirGir:  You have your phone line connected into the modem and your computer, and then the other line that comes out of your phone plugged into the wall or a surge protector?

Contributor

I called for service yesterday, we tried disconnecting everything on both ends and rebooting, but it didn't work.  Today, miraculously, my phone started working.  I had a message from Comcast, but all I got was the guy's name, the rest of the voicemail was cut off.  At least it's finally working after 4-5 days.  I don't know what they did, but it must have been on their end.

New Poster

I too have the rapid tone sounds like busy signal. Then can make call....Cannot use fax machine or other dial services. Comcast reps seemed clueless also.

Contributor

I just read on another thread where someone said to use a phone line cord with only two wires in it, instead of the usual four wires in it and make sure it's plugged into the back of your modem, not the wall.