Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

eMTA for voice only and cable modem for HSI?

Regular Contributor

eMTA for voice only and cable modem for HSI?

I currently use my own  modem for my Comcast internet connection.  I want to add voice to my existing TV and HSI but there is no phone jack near the modem cable connection.  A Comcast CSR said I could plug the eMTA in wherever I have an existing phone jack (I want all current phones in the house to be usable) and continue to use my existing modem for the internet.  Does that sound right?

Problem Solver

Re: eMTA for voice only and cable modem for HSI?

This does work, it can be done.

Frequent Visitor

I have a similar situation with two modems.  A DOCIS 3.0 for internet and a Comcast supplied eMATA/DOCIS 2.0 used only for the phones.  On the cable side is a splitter to service the two and the internet goes to a router and the phone lines go into a jack.  I went ahead and pulled telephone wire to where the old telephone company entrance was and have labeled  jacks out there so that it is a bit more obvious what is supplying dial tone for each line.  (I originally had 5 phone lines for telephones, modems and faxes, but am now down to two supplied by Comcast.)  You can actually just plug it into any jack available... just make sure that you unplug the entrance wire from the phone company.  Otherwise when the phone company reconfigures or reuses the wire for someone else, you may end up supplying them with phone service.  At one point before I got rid of my last phone company lines I checked an old modem lines and found that I had dial tone from a neighbor.

Good luck.

Regular Contributor

But the eMATA needs to have a cable connection does it not?  My situation is that I have no phone jacks near either of my cable outlets.  So won't I have to add a phone jack next to my cable jack?  I asked the CSR if the Comcast installer would do that and (apparently not understanding the question) said they'd sent me the eMATA and I could hook it up myself.

Problem Solver

Obviously you need to get both wires to the same place, or have wires outside between the two nearest cable and phone jacks of either type, so the length of the two wires equals the distance between the  jacks.

You could do wiring inside walls if you know how for the phone or the cable to get them to the same place, or pay somebody or just buy one of those wireless multi station phones from costco or wherever and plug it in and forget about phone wiring

Problem Solver

dup