Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

downloading a huge file and using the phone?

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

downloading a huge file and using the phone?

My queston is that since the internet and phone share the same modem, can i download a huge file (like 2 gb) and still be on the phone at the same time? or does the modem reserve some bandwidth for using the phone? i know you could be online and talk at the same time!

Accepted Solution

Re: downloading a huge file and using the phone?

The eMTA's phone section and HSI section have separate MAC addresses and are considered separate sections.  Download all you want and it will not affect the voice section of the eMTA.  The speed does not slow down when your on the phone.  They are separate but under the same case, and considered separate devices.  It's not any different than having a eMTA just for phone and a HSI modem right next to it.  A 2GB download is nothing

View answer in context
Cable Expert

The eMTA's phone section and HSI section have separate MAC addresses and are considered separate sections.  Download all you want and it will not affect the voice section of the eMTA.  The speed does not slow down when your on the phone.  They are separate but under the same case, and considered separate devices.  It's not any different than having a eMTA just for phone and a HSI modem right next to it.  A 2GB download is nothing

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

thank you!