Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

deletion of modem settings

Frequent Visitor

deletion of modem settings

hi, I'm posting this on behalf of my retired friends who are having on-going issues with comcast deleting their personal emta modem's settings so that they lose internet and digital voice. 

timeline:

- they started with comcast internet only 2 years ago.  they used their personal modem (provided by me) the entire time and had good reliable service.

- 2 months ago they got an HDTV and upgraded to the triple play using the comcast technicolor gateway (GW). 

- 4 weeks ago, they asked me get them a replacement GW to avoid the monthly lease fee, $8.

- 3 weeks ago I purchased an arris tg862 which is listed on the comcast site as a supported replacement and called comcast to get it setup.  first 2 CSR failed to get the modem activated and disconnected me.  both seemed relatively clueless of what needed to be done and when problems arose, how to work around it.  third CSR was professional and competent and finally go the GW activated.  It took 3 hours total time on a saturday.

- they returned the comcast GW the next tuesday. 2 days later, they lost internet connectivity and phone.  I came over, called 800 xfinity number and found out the modem info (CMAC, EMAC) were both deleted.  CSR didn't know why or how this happened, but 30 minutes later things were back up.  for the trouble they offered $50 credit. 

- 9 days later, they lost connectivity for phone and internet.  they called the CSR and again all the modem info is deleted.  30 minutes later it's back up.

is this acceptable?  why and how doe this keep happening?  the message seems to be, you're going to have problems if you use your own equpiment.  for elderly people, this is a big headache that they do not need.  currently they are debating if they should stay with comcast or switch to u-verse which is also available in their area. 

apologies if this is in the wrong form, but I could not find a "service" related forum except this one.

Best,

jeff