Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

calls from california all day and night???

Regular Visitor

calls from california all day and night???

I live in NJ and for the past 3 weeks to a month have been receiving calls from California (Area Code 415) all hours of the day and night. Some calls have legitimate ID's and I've answered to talk to a genuine person. The person can't understand why I would get the call since they called another in California. Other calls just hang up and I've tried to call them back and either get a busy signal, number does not exist, or it just continues to ring. I've had to unplug my phone line at bedtime to get through the night without getting calls at 1:45 AM.

It seems that Comcast has a switching problem that reroutes these calls to my number.

Is anybody else on the East Coast experiencing this situation?

Service Expert

Re: calls from california all day and night???

Firestopper0383 wrote:

I live in NJ and for the past 3 weeks to a month have been receiving calls from California (Area Code 415) all hours of the day and night. Some calls have legitimate ID's and I've answered to talk to a genuine person. The person can't understand why I would get the call since they called another in California. Other calls just hang up and I've tried to call them back and either get a busy signal, number does not exist, or it just continues to ring. I've had to unplug my phone line at bedtime to get through the night without getting calls at 1:45 AM.

It seems that Comcast has a switching problem that reroutes these calls to my number.

Is anybody else on the East Coast experiencing this situation?

If the numbers are properly formatted (xxx-xxx-xxxx) you can BLOCK them....  log into your account online, goto : https://pf.connect.comcast.net/OptimusPref/prefs/voice   

You must be logged in for the above link to work.... Click on Call Blocking and add the number(s) there....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

I was on the receving end of missdirected call forwarding.  I live in California and started receiving calls from eastern Pennsylvania.  I answered a couple of the calls and learned that the calls were for a person in Reading Pennsylvania.  One of the callers gave me the phone # they were trying to reach.  I called that number and talked to the person who answered the call (I was surprised it was not forwarded back to my phone).  I asked if they had call forwarding and they said no,  I asked who their phone service was with and they said Comcast.  I reported this to Comcast tech. support and after 4 days and and many calls they corrected the erronius call forwarding.  I think Comcast needs to find the root cause of this problem.

Regular Visitor

I've run out of spaces on the Call Block list with Comcast. The numbers calling are from different callers but, from many numbers in the 415, 760, and 310 area codes. I get a hold of Comcast and always get a call center out of Country with a person that doesn't understand my problem. All they want to do is setup a Service Call of which I know will not help. My next solution is purchase a call blocking device that can block up to 1000 numbers.

Contributor

You need to find out the phone service provider of the calls that are being re-routed to your phone number in error.  Ask some of these misdirected callers what is the phone number is that they are trying to reach.  Then call that number and find out who their phone service is with.  In my case the misdirected calls were coming from a phone with Comcast voice service.   With that information I was able to get Comcast tech support higher up the food chain and got the problem resolved in several days.  Good luck with solving your problem.

Regular Visitor

I've spoken to several of the California callers and they all have Comcast as their telephone service provider. I've gotten calls from a father trying to reach his daughter and the daughter trying to reach her father. Neither dialed my number but, somehow my phone in NJ rang. I've spoken to both and neither them nor I can figure it out. Apparently, the route you took will be the same one I'll have to take, providing I can speak to a representative in the US.

Contributor

You need to get the phone number which these California callers are trying to reach.  Then call that number and ask them who *their* phone service provider is.  Chances are that number has an erroneous call forwarding to your phone number and strong odds that they have comcast as voice service provider.  You would then have a good case to escalate comcast tech support.  My case got escalated to Comcast engineering in Philadelphia before it got corrected.

Best of luck in resolving your problem.