Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

caller id shows "unknown" with phone number.

Frequent Visitor

caller id shows "unknown" with phone number.

Seems name is not being picked up by Comcast caller id system. Number shows ok but name is Unknown. Worked fine until a month ago. I spent an hour on the chat desk with no resolution. When they said reset the box I knew they had no idea. On my phone id it says "out of area". Names in my phone directory will give name on phone but unknown on tv.

Service Expert

Re: caller id shows "unknown" with phone number.

tylerrachel wrote:

Seems name is not being picked up by Comcast caller id system. Number shows ok but name is Unknown. Worked fine until a month ago. I spent an hour on the chat desk with no resolution. When they said reset the box I knew they had no idea. On my phone id it says "out of area". Names in my phone directory will give name on phone but unknown on tv.

Because you have manually associated a name with a known number in the 'phones" system is why the phone can show this.  When the call is being accepted by Comcast, it is picking up a "null" name field from the caller and why it is showing UNKNOWN.  Your phone system and COmcast's system are 2 entirely different systems.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: caller id shows "unknown" with phone number.

what you say about the phone makes sense. What happened in the comcast system it does not link the name with the number?  Peoploe calling would not be blocking their name.