New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

call screening

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

call screening

What exactly is call screening? If I engage it, what does it do and does it apply to all calls? I assume screening is different from blocking, but in what way?

Accepted Solution

Re: call screening

Thanks very much! The installer never mentioned that a manual was available.

View answer in context
Cable Expert

Call screening (blocking) will block up to 12 numbers that you enter.  The caller will get a recording that you are not accepting their calls.

The best explaination and how to is in the Xfinity Voice manual here, on page 10.

You can enter the numbers on your phone keypad or online at Xfinity Connect / preferences / voice / call blocking.

There is also anonymous call blocking that blocks all calls from callers who block their caller ID information.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks very much! The installer never mentioned that a manual was available.

Regular Visitor

With all the telephone numbers that various solicitors and telemarketers have and use, it would be nice if we could screen more than 12 telephone numbers.  Perhaps there could be a way that we could screen up to 100 phone numbers just by entering (for example) 800-555-23** to block any phone number in the range 800-555-2300 through 800-555-2399.  What a nice feature that would be!

Regular Visitor

I couldn't agree more. With the millions of telemarketers, political groups, scammers, and those that don't care about the Do Not Call list, 12 numbers is barely a drop in the bucket. Being able to block 100+ would definitely be a huge help!
New Poster

You seem to equate call screening with blocking, but the website says they are not the same.  What's the difference.

I cannot find how to do it on the website, and the instructions which say to get a dial tone and Press 60 result in a message "unable to complete the call".  What's up?

Regular Visitor

I believe you would have to dial   *60  to access that feature

New Poster

Yeah, I found the answers here also.  The directions on one page said to press 60, but on another page it correctly said to press *60.  That worked.  I also found the on-line method (convoluted access).  It is still interesting that the first page said not to confuse call-screening with call-blocking (removing your caller-id on outgoing calls), yet when I clicked on call screening it took me to a web page that described the process, but was titled "call blocking".

It does work, but the website is confusing and also wrong in many aspects.

New Poster

I need more than 12 numbers blocked. How can this be done? Also there should be a way to STOP repeated call from companies that do not adhere to the DO NOT CALL LIST.

Frequent Visitor

I'm also VERY frustrated with the the 12-number limit. I've been pretty lucky so far by using those 12, and when #13 comes in, I go in and delete #1. By that time, solicitors with the first few numbers blocked have given up and have stopped calling, anyway. So those numbers basically were just taking up precious space on the list. It's more work, but I receive precious few bothersome calls these days.

But you're right - One solicitor usually has at least 12 numbers! And others hire people to call from their cell phones, and you can never block all of those.

I'd gladly pay an extra $2 a month for a 100-call list. Considering that Comcast has about 24 million subscribers, they could make add a small fortune to their bottom line! Someone over there just isn't watching the threads to find out what their customers want.

New Poster

I've called, and written to Comcast about this problem, as usual they like our payments BUT never respond to anything the customers want.

Frequent Visitor

Maybe if more of us called it would make more of an impression. I'll make my preferences known first thing Monday morning. If anyone wants to join me: 1-800-934-6489 (1-800-xfinity.)

New Poster

I'll try again

Frequent Visitor

Call blocking seems to block your number from appearing on the caller ID of the person you call.  Should have a different name, something like  "Anonymous  Calling".

Frequent Visitor

I agree that the screening system needs serious work.  

Unwanted calls are out of control and the do not call registry does not work. 

Comca&t needs to step up the efforts for its customers in the following ways:

-up the block calls limit,

-provide a one touch call block option,

-use your lobby power to get some real teeth into the do not call laws,

-use your technology to idintify the offenders, block their calls and turn them over to authorities. 

c'mon Conca&t, help us out, we're paying the bills here.

New Poster

I spoke with Comcast yesterday, 12 is the limit. The person I spoke with understands the problem BUT nothing he can do. I asked him to explain to the higher ups the problem. He says 12 blocked numbers has been what was set-up when the system was put into operation years ago. I think it's time for a major upgrade. With a corp. as big as Comcast is this kind of upgrade is not a huge undertaking, simple re-write of a program or expand 1 part of it. There are syatem's we could purchase for around $100. I don't see why we need to buy an add-on when Comcast should step up and do it. We trusted the gov. to put the Do Not Call in place, we all see how well that works. Now Comcast won't help it's customers with a simple and easy fix. I to would pay a few bucks more for a service I need and want.

New Poster

Does call screening cost anything extra to the bill?  (As my bill is already outrageous and even an extra $1 wouldn't be worth it for me).

Here's my situation:

I get a call at least once a week from this phone number (210) 526-6628.  It's always the same exact woman with an Asian/Indian accent asking if I want a discount on my South Jersey Gas bill.  She wants me to verify all types of private information over the phone, which obviously I never do.  I've asked her to add me to the DO NOT CALL list which never happens and she always says "Ma'am this is the first time I'm calling you" (which to my recollection is not accurate).  I'm so annoyed at these stupid phone calls and people who try to steal your identity.  I just want the phone calls to stop.  I've Googled this phone number and the first 14 posts all were from various websites stating people got calls from the exact same number asking all sorts of private information.  I've registerred that phone number on all types of sites stating that it's a scam including the FCC and the Do Not Call registry but it doesn't seem to matter.  I'm just irritated that there's nothing that can be done.

Regular Visitor

You can screen 12 or more numbers with "no" extra charge to your bill. Tha Comcast voice in my area can screen 25 numbers.

Frequent Visitor

I set up call blocking momnths ago and have 12 numbers listed.  However, I suddenly cannot access my list.  When I check references none of the four selections load.  I cannot find "call manager" either.

Any ideas for a solution?  

Regular Visitor

Go to  -   http://xfinity.comcast.net/

Sign In

Voice & Text 

Preferences

voice

call blocking

Can you find it?