New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

blocking calls from "impossible" numbers

Contributor

blocking calls from "impossible" numbers

Hi all --

I would like to know why (or if it is possible) for Comcast to block phone calls from "impossible" numbers.  First of all, I subscribe to Nomorobo, and that does a fairly decent job, but it only works on numbers of the ### - ### - #### variety.

The other day, I got an IRS scam call from phone number 112511+00 36 00 025840 -- I don't think there is any country in the world that has a phone number like this.

And further more, they kept calling back using the number 88802.  (During the first call, they said that was my last notification -- and if I didn't respond, I would be going to jail.  I was waiting to have a nice time in jail, but instead, they just kept calling back anyway).

There just has to be a limit as to what Comcast will accept as a legimate phone number.

Service Expert

Re: blocking calls from "impossible" num

littlepeaks wrote:

Hi all --

I would like to know why (or if it is possible) for Comcast to block phone calls from "impossible" numbers.  First of all, I subscribe to Nomorobo, and that does a fairly decent job, but it only works on numbers of the ### - ### - #### variety.

The other day, I got an IRS scam call from phone number 112511+00 36 00 025840 -- I don't think there is any country in the world that has a phone number like this.

And further more, they kept calling back using the number 88802.  (During the first call, they said that was my last notification -- and if I didn't respond, I would be going to jail.  I was waiting to have a nice time in jail, but instead, they just kept calling back anyway).

There just has to be a limit as to what Comcast will accept as a legimate phone number.

Unfortunately, Comcast Call Screening can only handle properly formatted numbers in the xxx-xxx-xxxx format.  NoMoRobo does indeed do a great service as I also have this.  

FWIW, you may need to invest in a home call blocker to add to your system in order for you to get the peace you desire.  There are some models available that can block 1000 callers and can also do wildcard entries....   Hope this helps!

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

I had an IRS scam voicemail the other day, said if I didn't call them back immediately they would "forcefully send my case file to the courthouse in the legal way". lol

It would be great if Comcast could maintain a database of known scam numbers that would intercept and block those calls. I'd even be happy of they would increase the number of numbers we can block. I'd be even happier if the Caller ID name and number outgoing block worked outside this area. Practically every business I call can see my number in their Caller ID even though I have it blocked from being displayed. I'm about to dump a number I've had for 23 years because for some reason, the number of junk calls from people who have my name has increased from none since switching to Comcast 2-1/2 years ago. I've only used that number for family and friends and never gave it out to a business. I've always had a second line for that.

Contributor

If you haven't enabled Nomorobo, you need to do that as soon as possible.  It does a fairly decent job with "normal" numbers.  It appears to be blocking political calls, as well.

Regular Contributor

littlepeaks wrote:

If you haven't enabled Nomorobo, you need to do that as soon as possible.  It does a fairly decent job with "normal" numbers.  It appears to be blocking political calls, as well.

I got Nomorobo a few weeks ago on both my lines, works great...would work better if it didn't allow the call to ring through at all, even for one ring.

Political calls have never been a problem, I think I'm on their Do Not Call list, they do not call! The ones who were actually dumb enough to call me to talk, got an ear full and usually ended up changing parties by the time I was done with them!