Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

arris modem

Contributor

arris modem

I posted this in the tv section but I guess it was the wrong spot and my post is gone.  I have an arris tm 502g for my I guess cable and phone. It is approximately two years old.  Can anyone tell me if there is a newer modem and even if there is does it make a difference.

Contributor

arris modem

What is the current triple play modem that comcast is distributing to customers?  How do I know if mine is old or if I need a new one?

Thanks first time poster

Cable Expert

Re: arris modem

Your 502 is far from obsolete and will give full download speeds to about 32MB.  It is still current, and Comcast will not replace it until it's end of life, or you subscribe to 50MB package needing a DOCISS 3 eMTA, and will not replace it for no reason.

Comcast will notify subscribers when their leased equipment is needing replacement.

In many area's you can now purchase your own DOCISS 3 eMTA at select Best Buy's with Comcast Connection centers in them.  This is not everywhere, so HERE is the list of locations you can purchase a eMTA for about $150 plus installation by a Comcast tech, no self installs in most locations.

That's about the only way to go to a D3 eMTA without the old one failing unless you upgrade to a 50MB or higher package.

You can also purchase a stand alone D3 cable modem to run alongside your eMTA to get the most benefit from a D3 modem.  Look for retail D3 modems like Motorola 6120 and Zoom 5341.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

thanks.  I have no idea what your saying past the fact that my modem is far from obsolete.  But that was all I wanted to know. 

Cable Expert

LOL. He's saying your modem is fine. You might see some benefit from upgrading to the latest and greatest modem, but it's complicated by your digital voice. Bottom line is that you have a fine modem and it probably isn't worth it for you to upgrade unless you want to change your service to a faster speed tier.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon