Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity modem connection to fax machine

New Poster

Xfinity modem connection to fax machine

We just had a new comcast phone/internet modem installed and have a connection to a fax machine. The connections were installed properly, however, when a call or fax comes in it goes straight to voicemail. When we switch the wires on the back of the fax we receive calls, but the faxes fail to receive. We've tried a new phone cable but that isn't the problem.

Can anyone help?

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity modem connection to fax machine

Either increase the rings for voicemail, get a separate line for faxing if your doing a lot of faxing( $10 I think), or only plug that fax line in when you have to send or receive faxes.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Calls will go straight to voicemail if the fax machine is "off hook" or the phone cord is shorted. Either one causes your line to look "busy".
New Poster

Thank you for your responses...so after a frustrating week of talking to I don't remember how many Comcast reps and changing the # of rings, the cables, etc. the issue has been resolved. Thank you to one Comcast rep who knew what the heck was going on...

Since we switched to a digital modem, the faxes were coming in but going to an analog fax machine. She recommended we purchase a DSL Filter, which I did and a miracle happened...it worked!!!

You can purchase this filter at Radio Shack for $13. It plugs into the back of the modem, then you plug the line coming from the fax into the filter.

Gold Problem Solver

The telephone line connections on a Comcast eMTA are analog, and a DSL filter should not have been necessary.

New Poster

Yes, you are correct...we thought the filter worked, but after having a comcast tech come out to the house again, it still does not work properly and will never work properly. So beware when comcast tells you that their digital phone modem will work with your fax machine.

Cable Expert

gsilvers wrote:

Yes, you are correct...we thought the filter worked, but after having a comcast tech come out to the house again, it still does not work properly and will never work properly. So beware when comcast tells you that their digital phone modem will work with your fax machine.

The DSL filter trick makes the line quality worse -- so it slows down the transfer rate of the fax -- making it perform better. You can accomplish the same thing by setting your fax to it's slowest transfer rate. In many cases the fax equipment simply isn't compatable with VoIP and it won't work.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon