New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Voice

ANSWERED
New Poster

Xfinity Voice

Hi, sorry if this question has been asked, but I recently got the Xfinity Voice phone service. I have tried to look all over for information on what phone i should use to connect. Should I use an IP phone, regular phone, cordless? It would help if you guys could give me a make/model for one that is garuanteed to work.

Information is not available anywhere which is really frustrating!

Accepted Solution

Re: Xfinity Voice

rmbrand wrote:

Hmm, I must have a bad setup then as my Motorola Surfboard SB6141 modem and my Cisco Linksys E4200 both do not have the TEL jacks that you mentioned? Am i missing something? I was under the impression that this internet gear was quite good?

The SB6141 is not an EMTA modem....

Did you recently upgrade to Voice Service?

You will need a gateway ( from Comcast or you can purchase an approved device ) since you already have Internet to support Voice Service.

The list of approved devices which can be used on Comcast are here:  http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

View answer in context
Service Expert

rmbrand wrote:

Hi, sorry if this question has been asked, but I recently got the Xfinity Voice phone service. I have tried to look all over for information on what phone i should use to connect. Should I use an IP phone, regular phone, cordless? It would help if you guys could give me a make/model for one that is garuanteed to work.

Information is not available anywhere which is really frustrating!

Any modern phone will work with the Comcast Voice service.  I have heard of great success with Panasonic, Vtech, Mitel etc but I am not in a position to recommend any as I believe this to be a personal decision.

A little research online can prevent lots of issues later...  take a look at a few phones you would like, go to the manufactuirer's website and read about any support issues that other users are reporting...  this will aid in helping you decide which to purchase.

Good luck!

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for your reply. Would the phone need an ethernet plug to plug into the modem or router?

Service Expert

rmbrand wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Would the phone need an ethernet plug to plug into the modem or router?

The modem/gateway will have TEL jacks on the back of the units to connect your phone or to backfeed your phone wiring in the residence.  No ethernet cabling is required for phone service.

Ray

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Hmm, I must have a bad setup then as my Motorola Surfboard SB6141 modem and my Cisco Linksys E4200 both do not have the TEL jacks that you mentioned? Am i missing something? I was under the impression that this internet gear was quite good?

Service Expert

rmbrand wrote:

The SB6141 is not an EMTA modem....

Did you recently upgrade to Voice Service?

You will need a gateway ( from Comcast or you can purchase an approved device ) since you already have Internet to support Voice Service.

The list of approved devices which can be used on Comcast are here:  http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Yeah I have had internet for a long time with comcast, but recently upgraded to X1, which required me to get the voice service. Wasnt aware, not was it explained at the time that i needed a "gateway". I will have a look at the link you sent me. Thanks!

Service Expert

rmbrand wrote:

Yeah I have had internet for a long time with comcast, but recently upgraded to X1, which required me to get the voice service. Wasnt aware, not was it explained at the time that i needed a "gateway". I will have a look at the link you sent me. Thanks!

Glad to help....

If you have any questions, please ask in these forums.

I have subscribed to X1 for 1 1/2 years now and there is a dedicated X1 Forum if you have any questions about that platform and it is here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1

Ray  

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon