Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Voice compatible with home alarm systems

New Poster

Xfinity Voice compatible with home alarm systems

I signed up to switch from an AT&T land line to Xfinity Voice, but I am concerned about my monitored home alarm system. No one seems to know if my alarm system will be compatible with Xfinity Voice, until it is actually installed.  Has anyone had this problem.  It seems like no one that I've talked to has had his issue before.  Any help would be appreciated. My appt. is this Saturday and thinking about canceling.  I've also heard that there were problems with 911 calls and not being able to locate where the calls are coming from.  

Cable Expert

Re: Xfinity Voice compatible with home

I assumed you asked the folks that installed your alarm? It seems like it would be a pretty common question for them. Anyhow, in my experience it has not been a problem. There was one I installed years ago that didn't work, but that was only because the alarm was 30 years old. I think you'll be fine. And no there won't be any issues with 911.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I asked the alarm company and they said that they will not know until the phone is actually installed and if not compatible, then they would have to come out, ($90 charge), plus whatever they have to install. I did find it strange that they didn't know about this issue or couldn't give a definite answer. Comcast did not know either. I guess I will try it and see what happens. Thanks again

New Poster

I have Xfinity voice and I am having a problem with my alarm service. My alarm beeps and tells me I have phone failure. Alarm company says it is probably because I have digital voice but they are coming out for free to check the system. Comcast has no idea what is going on. I also had AT&T Uverse previously, never had a problem, moved and switched to Comcast. May have to switch back!

Cable Expert

With that said a landline is more reliable than any VoIP line. You may find that your local phone company will give you a basic landline for next to nothing. In my area a basic phone line is less than $10/month. It might be an option for you.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Great, thanks for the info. It helps a lot.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Voice compatible with home alarm syste

Many alarm systems require an Anolog Phone Line that was provided by your previous phone company. Many alarm systems depending on the age will not function on a Digital Phone Line such as Comcast, however it can be adopted to function properly through your Alarm Provider. In many cases the alarm system functions well on Comcast Systems. I will not function on Vontage or other Internet Protacol systems. Call your alarm provider before Saturday.

New Poster

You need to have your installer hook it up so that the calls can still be made to the alarm compnay.  Xfinfity installers did not do it for me (I didnt realize the problem) and so I had to have the alarm company back to fix it.

New Poster

Thanks again everyone.

New Poster

I am a alarm installer who deals with this everyday and yes your system will work with it. The problem is that when you switch your phone service from a landline to a VOIP the wiring configuration changes. Right now your alarm is to setup to sieze the line coming from outside where the landline Phone Block is located but when Comcast takes over your, phone line originates from where ever they install your modem. Most of the times comcast techs don't bother to run a line outside your home where your previous landline originates( which is where all your existing jack lines originate from).  Typically they take a straight from the modem to nearest jack which sends dial tone to all the jacks in your home. So now when the alarms system needs to dial out it can't because its setup to dial out to the landline. Depending on the alarm system, this can easily be fixed by just looking in side your panel, find  the phone connection and  by swapping the brown and gray with the red and green wires. What you are doing here is called reversing the polarity. Now when the panel dials out in goes to the modem. Now the only VOIP systems that are capatible with alarm systems are the ones through the cable companies. All the others like vonage and magic jack don't work because of band width issues which results in them sending partial alarm signals.

Regular Visitor

DDT313- Thank you for an excellent explanation!! Although I personally will not need this procedure, I am always willing to learn. You never know when such info can come in handy. It's great that you took the time to post and educate some of us!

New Poster

I believe you referring the rj31x :  Ti swith with R; Ri with T. it did not work either. I still have to disconnet the panel with the line to regain the normal phone function. Any further suggetion?

by the way the alarm system's phone line was tap to the phone jack, which now is the in-line from the cable modem. thank you