New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Problems Including Unusable Voice

New Poster

Xfinity Problems Including Unusable Voice

Hello.

My experience with Comcast has been somewhat disappointing. I'm not completely mad because my internet is almost always reliable (not necessarily with the modem that Comcast provided me, but with a secondary one that I bought before the phone modem was installed). My phone service has been absolutely terrible until last night when I decided to check on something. I'd googled the problem (Comcast is still coming later today, 12:15AM when I'm posting this) but I didnt want to wait any longer. It was sooo annoying. Since at least November.  So I found a site that said to check the test jack at the telephone interface box, so I went out and did and doing so disconnected the outside network and I got nothing. I thought I would because I know Comcast's signal is generated internally. I had a feeling the problem might be the fact that the outside network (AT&T) was still connected to my house. One question I have is whether or not the Digital Voice installer is supposed to disconnect or cut the old existing line. So when I didn't hear a tone and could still make and receive calls on my landline, I decided to leave the neighborhood network disconnected. I highly doubt that's a problem, and if the repair guy decides it is tomorrow, then I will not let him leave without solving the problem once again using his own method (or mine).

OK. Phone's good. Now to internet. 

So my phone modem, which is also an internet modem, provides one side of my house with pretty nice speeds. Those speeds are reduced to a near halt very frequently throughout the day. At the same time, my personal modem, which provides the other side of my house with internet, albeit usually six times faster internet, is rarely affected. I know Comcast has been detecting an outage in my neighborhood for 3 months, but I still get consistent service. Maybe it's not completely nonexistent, but it still works, and well, most of the time. Internet goes out a lot of the time. It's not wireless, it's straight hardwired Cat.6 ethernet cables that I know work and are not crossover cables, as some of the support representatives may ask, and would if I called this in. The wireless gateway on that phone/internet modem is going bad also, so I'll probably need to take that to get a new one. I also want to say that both modems are set up properly, they have a straight shot to Comcast, no amplifier in between. I also want to add that my personal modem is on a second splitter that feeds an HD DVR.

Internet should be fixed tomorrow (hopefully). On to TV.

OK. Let me say I know RG-59 cables are definitely some of the worst for HD broadcast video. I bought a bag of RG-6 connectors mistakenly because a crimp on one of my household internal RG-59 cables literally just broke. The connector fell off the cable. I honestly don't care whose fault it was, it was probably the electrician who wired my house in 1993. I just want it fixed. So on to the real problems.

So I have in my house, 2 DTAs. They absolutely suck. One of them hasn't worked since probably October, and the other has the worst picture I've ever seen. There's so much noise in the signal that you can barely see what you're trying to watch. The "we've detected an outage" dialog pops up occasionally. Less than it should but just the right amount not to be intrusive. I also have an HD set top box, Cisco RNG150, I believe. It works usually... Sometimes the audio drops out, or the video drops out and you can either wait 10 minutes before it like digitizes back in, or you can cycle the power. This is absolutely ridiculous. My HD DVR does the same thing. I know it may not be on an amp, but the signal should definitely be strong enough to power the box, two modems, and a drop amp.  The problems with that DVR are the worst of at least the two HD boxes. These are the problems I have experienced in the recent past, thanks to Comcast, and possibly AT&T. But it's mostly Comcast. And I doubt I would leave them over these issues. It's the fastest internet around, and I've been getting away with two modems on my plan since my Digital Voice install, probably over a year and a half ago.

Thanks to anyone who will read this whole thing.