Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Will Xfinity voice require use of telephone lines

New Poster

Will Xfinity voice require use of telephone lines

I am scheduled to have our AT&T land line ported over to Xfinity voice to go with our internet and tv service.  There are no existing phone jacks where I need the modem to be. Does Xfinity make use of existing land lines or is the service exclusively through the cable?  I dont want to have a cord running across the floor to the nearest phone jack on the opposite wall. 

Cable Expert

Re: Will Xfinity voice require use of telephone li

If you already have Comcast high speed internet, the cable modem is replaced with a eMTA telephony modem.  The eMTA is where the phone jacks are located. 

That jack on the eMTA can either be connected directly to a wired or cordless phone, or connected to an existing phone phone jack in the room that will then backfeed the dial tone and line voltage to the rest of the phone jacks in the home.

If you are backfeeding the eMTA to your inside phone wiring and jacks in the home, you must make sure the inside wiring is disconnected at the NID - network interface device, the gray box on the outside of the home.  It must be physically disconnected at the NID, so you are not connecting the Comcast eMTA's voltage out of the house out the the ILEC's outside plant wiring.

Normally this is done by the Comcast tech when the CDV is installed.  If your doing a self install, then it is your responsibility to make sure this is all done correctly to give troublefree service and to protect the ILEC's outside plant.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon