Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Will CDV Slow Down My Internet?

Contributor

Will CDV Slow Down My Internet?

I bit on the telemarketing pitch and signed up for CDV, but I'm now curious how it may affect my High Speed Internet (when I heard the pitch I was hoping it was an 'out of band' technology like my Cable TV Smiley Sad )

So I'm currently very happy with my 8Mbps Down/768Kbps Upload HSI package.

It looks like the new modem I'll be getting (the TM402P), will just do QoS of my voice over the 8M/768K line.

Will they also increase my Down/Up speed when I get my new modem?  To handle voice at no impact to my HSI?

Or when I'm on the phone will I now only get 688K (768K less  ~80K) upload?

Any experiences with changes in upload/download speeds when you're on the phone would be appreciated.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Will CDV Slow Down My Internet?

BillyGates wrote:
I bit on the telemarketing pitch and signed up for CDV, but I'm now curious how it may affect my High Speed Internet (when I heard the pitch I was hoping it was an 'out of band' technology like my Cable TV Smiley Sad )

So I'm currently very happy with my 8Mbps Down/768Kbps Upload HSI package.

It looks like the new modem I'll be getting (the TM402P), will just do QoS of my voice over the 8M/768K line.

Will they also increase my Down/Up speed when I get my new modem?  To handle voice at no impact to my HSI?

Or when I'm on the phone will I now only get 688K (768K less  ~80K) upload?

Any experiences with changes in upload/download speeds when you're on the phone would be appreciated.

Nope, I asked the same question when I got mine, I cannot explain what he said, I am oldSmiley Wink But in effect it is kinda like apples and oranges in the cable.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Contributor

Yeah, that's the same 'nonsense' answer I got from my tele-marketer.  But from what I'm reading about the TM402P it doesn't make sense.  Why would they have/need QoS on the box if it's 'out-of-band' working on a different freqency from HSI?  I'd like a bit more technical explanation of how this works other than just taking the sales people's word for it. Smiley Happy

Or if some people have done some actual tests like... 'max. out your upload bandwidth' then make a phone call to see if you can still get the rate upload rates.

Message Edited by BillyGates on 11-04-200608:25 AM

Most Valued Poster

BillyGates,

Your CDV service uses a seperate allocation of bandwidth from the High Speed Internet.  Unlike 3rd pary VoIP (Vonage, etc.), there is absolutely no impact on your Internet speeds.
Most Valued Poster

Michael wrote:
BillyGates,

Your CDV service uses a seperate allocation of bandwidth from the High Speed Internet.  Unlike 3rd pary VoIP (Vonage, etc.), there is absolutely no impact on your Internet speeds.

Thank you Michael, That is what I was trying to remember. My rememberer, is old tooSmiley Wink
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Contributor

Michael wrote:
BillyGates,

Thanks for the feedback and verifying this is "out of band" and different from Vonage!