Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Wi-Fi capable Xfinity Internet & Voice Modem

New Poster

Wi-Fi capable Xfinity Internet & Voice Modem

We rec'd our replacement Wi-Fi capable Xfinity Internet & Voice Modem and proceeded to swap out the old equipment for the new.  Activation was not possible due to "not connected to the Internet" dialogue. We checked and re-checked all of the connections, ports, and cables, rebooted everything, blah, blah...still nothing. Since we can't afford to conduct our lives without Internet access, we re-connected the old modem, using the same new ethernet cables and connecters. Everything sprang back to life! So now what do we do? We would certainly like to use the new Wi-Fi capable equipment, but it appears to be faulty and we're not too keen on swapping modems back and forth, back and forth, to prove it. Please help.

PS - We noticed that the new modem has a specialized battery compartment which is empty. Could this have anything to do with the modem malfunction?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Wi-Fi capable Xfinity Internet & Voice Mod

Battery is for the phone service only, so it works in a power outage.

Per the activation packet, you can also call 855OKBEGIN to activate.

New Poster

Not helpful, sorry. Can't activate if we're "not connected to the Internet."

Silver Problem Solver

Of course the PC will say not connected to the internet, it's probably jsut trying to ping Microsoft.com or something and not getting through because the service is not activated. The computer saying not connected and the modem being online are two different things. If the power, DS, US, and Online lights on the modem are solid then the modem can be activated.If not then it's a physical connection issue so check your conenctions/splitters/etc, else you need a tech.

Regular Visitor

An important distinction, thanks. "Not online"and "not connected" are not the same thing. I was online, but I was not connected. So, not being able to use my land line, I phoned in with my cell and activated the WiFi capable modem. Bingo!