Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

What is involved with Digital phone installation

Regular Visitor

What is involved with Digital phone installation

I signed up for triple play and its supposed to be installed July 8. I am now debating about whether or not I want the digital voice. I cannot get a straight answer from online help or email as to what is involved in installing the phone service. I refuse to sit on the phone for 45 minutes on hold for help from Comcast.

I have regular touch tone phone service thru MCI. I have 5 phones/jacks in my house. What will the technician do when he comes out? Will he use the existing phone lines and just install a box outside or does he need to do something to each and every phone line/jack? Most of my phone hacks are behind furniture, etc. Is digital voice carried over cable lines like the internet and cable TV or will the existing phone lines work. Somebody please explain this to me so that I can make an informed decision. I am further disillusioned after reading that this phone service has an 8 hour emergency back up for power outages. I just lived thru four days with no power. Eight hours is not going to help me. At least with old phone I had phone service.

does comcast offer regular phone service (non-digital)? thanks
Carol
Frequent Visitor

Re: What is involved with Digital phone installation

I would like the answers to this question also.
Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure what Comcat will do as part of their basic installation or how hard it will be to install into your home.

Digital voice is carried over coaxial cable from the street until it reaches the digital modem (MTA). My MTA is inside my house and plugs into an AC outlet and the coaxial cable plugs into it. There are two modular phone plugs on the MTA which allow two phones to be pluged into two different phone lines. Alternately, one end of a cable plugs into the MTA modular jack and the other end of a cable connects to the existing phone wires in your house. So all the wired phones in my house are connected to a single modular jack on the MTA. Make sense?

The power for Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS), the stuff from the phone company, comes in from the street. That's why POTS service to wired phones works when the power is out. Power for the MTA comes from an AC wall outlet. When the power in your house goes out, the MTA runs on the internal battery for some period of time. I've never tested how long the backup will last. The are spots for two batteries in the MTA, but mine MTA only has one installed.

Hope this helps,
Gary

Email Expert

My understanding is that he disconnects the phone lines from the old service at the junction box, and connects it to the eMTA. They don't need to do anything at each extension.

The digital voice is carried over the same cable as the cable TV and Internet. They split the cable, with one line going to the cable box, the other going to the eMTA, which is then connected to your phone wiring and your PC.

Yes, the phone service only lasts a few hours without power. There isn't really any technical way for them to do better, since it's based on battery backup. An eMTA is not like a phone, it can't get its power from the phone line.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

If Comcast disconnects POTS service and connects the modem to the wiring inside the house so you can use all of your jacks, what has to be done to get your POTS service back.  Does the wiring done by Comcast have to be removed?
Bronze Problem Solver

The switch to Comcast CDV also entails the cancelling of your local toll and long distance service with your prior POTS carrier.  So you need to "sign up" with someone else...and yes, the phone wiring to the eMTA would need to be undone, then reattached to the original phone lines.

If you were going to keep Internet service, Comcast would probably swap the eMTA out, as well, and rent you a modem just for that  (or you could obtain your own).  I doubt they would simply disable the CDV side of the eMTA.
Contributor

most times, they will let you keep the emta and disable the phone ports on it, depending on the cable modem availability at the dispatch office.
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation