online now

discussions

What Kind Of Phone Do I Buy?

Regular Visitor

What Kind Of Phone Do I Buy?

zx

Problem Solver

Re: What Kind Of Phone Do I Buy?

It depends on what features that you want. If you have cellphones that have Bluetooth capability, there is this type, which allows you to connect your cellphone through Blue Tooth to the cordless handset, so that not only would you be able to answer home phone calls, but you could also answer cellphone calls. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG7745S-Bluetooth-Cordless-Answering/dp/B0073W729K/ref=sr_1_4?s=o...

You can get that model in a base station only, or up to 5 cordless phone remote stations, that you just plug into a power outlet and they link with the base station without having to plug the remote station into a phone jack also. This one comes with a BlueTooth earpiece and a 2nd station. http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Cordless-Handsets-Answering-L903/dp/B003XMA9IU/ref=sr_1_6?s=office-pr...

If you are not interested in the Blue Tooth capabilities, there is this model for $60 http://www.amazon.com/AT-EL52300-Cordless-Silver-Handsets/dp/B004GMN2HG/ref=sr_1_4?s=office-products...

The best thing to do, is if you have an Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, Sam's club, Costco, or even Wal-mart or Target, go into there and look at the various options. Your best bet is to go with the base station model, and a remote station or two. This way you just have to plug one unit into a phone jack, which can be the eMTA, which allows you to have phone service from Comcast.

The biggest complaint that I hear from clients and family is the price of the cordless phones. Mostly it is due to it is a dying market when it comes to home phones, all because most people are just using their cellphones for the main means. They really do not see a need for home phone service, since they have the Cellphone.
Problem Solver

Almost any old regular phone will work except:

Incompatible equipment with XFINITY Voice  

Updated on August 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Introduction

Most equipment works fine with XFINITY Voice, but there are a few that don’t.

The following equipment is known to have a high probability of errors with XFINITY Voice service:

Telephones

• Bang & Olufsen: BeoCom 1
  • Bang & Olufsen: Beocom 2
  • Bang & Olufsen: BeoCom 4
  • Bang & Olufsen: BeoCom 5
  • Bang & Olufsen: BeoCom 1401
  • Southwestern Bell GH4102
Telephone/Caller ID Units

• AT&T 5830
  • AT&T E2727B 2.4 GHz Dual Handset Answering System with Caller ID and Call Waiting
  • GE 21018GE3
  • GE 21028GE3 (with answering machine)
  • GE 25838GE3-A
  • Memorex MPH3388
  • Motorola MD700 Series
  • Motorola MD751
  • Motorola MD761 (with answering machine)
  • MD70
  • Uniden DXAI5188-2 (with answering machine)
          CIDCW (caller ID with call waiting) functions properly
    • User may hear additional tones and signals after the call waiting indicator tone
    • This is normal for some Uniden phones
  • Uniden EXI5160
    • User may hear additional tones and signals after the call waiting indicator tone
  • Uniden DXI 386-2
    •  User may hear additional tones and signals after the call waiting indicator tone
Fax Machines

• Hitachi Omni Fax HF18TME

Note: There may be other equipment brands or models that are incompatible with the XFINITY Voice service.

Connection Expert

FWIW, if you already have working phones in your home that you are happy with, the tech can connect / backfeed all the phone jacks for them. They are already "compatible".

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

As EG suggests, you can use your household telephone jacks.  Just make sure if you had wired phone service before that you disconnect where the phoneline comes into house.  Should be a little box, take off the cover and unplug the jumper wire. Plug a phone cord in from modem to a phone jack.

I also recommend you keep at least one wired phone set in case the cordless phone transmitter dies.