Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

We now have to purchase our back up batteries???

ANSWERED
New Poster

We now have to purchase our back up batteries???

When I signed up for triple play several years ago, my biggest concern was the ability to call 911 in the event of a power outage - because of the many serious health problems that I have.  I was reassured about the backup battery giving 8 hours of backup.  Every time Comcast has come out to replace our modem, there was a new backup battery included.

I received a letter, phone call, and email to upgrade our modem to the gateway wireless - yay!  I am about to set it up and I really like the way it looks.  But, the battery compartment is empty and I read on comcast.com website that i will need to call and purchase the battery for $35!?   

Are any of us grandfathered in to the battery replacement policy from when we signed up?  

I really hope that Comcast did not suddenly decide to charge existing customers for the batteries.  I need access to 911 because of serious health problems.  This is the very reason I did not sign up for xfinity voice right away. $35 is a lot of money when you are surviving on disability.  $35 is 2 bags of groceries.  I sure hope I'm wrong about the battery thing...

Accepted Solution

Re: We now have to purchase our back up batteries?

Most of the time the modem is unable to establish block sync to the CMTS during a power outage, so a battery backup is a moot point. Also if you have all cordless phones then they need power too, and won't work in a power outage. 

Yes, Comcast charges for the batteries now, no grandfathered anything. You can however, get them cheaper from other sources.

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

Most of the time the modem is unable to establish block sync to the CMTS during a power outage, so a battery backup is a moot point. Also if you have all cordless phones then they need power too, and won't work in a power outage. 

Yes, Comcast charges for the batteries now, no grandfathered anything. You can however, get them cheaper from other sources.

New Poster

John - then what is the benefit of having back-up batteries?  also, what is CMTS?

Silver Problem Solver

CMTS ... I think it stands for Cable Modem Termination System? But not being able to establish block sync with the CMTS basically means the modem is unable to communicate with Comcast.

Gold Problem Solver

The benefit of back-up batteries is that IF whatever caused the power failure did not also cut the line to Comcast, and IF Comcast has maintained the power fail backups for its AC powered line equipment, then your Comcast phone service will continue to operate. But those are two big IFs.