Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Voicemail light won't go off and no voicemails in my inbox

Frequent Visitor

Voicemail light won't go off and no voicemails in my inbox

I have talked to Comcast five times today on the problem of the message light blinking, but no messages in my mailbox.  I have unplugged the phone, reset my modem and now according to the rep that I tlked to, she siad the problem is my phone.  When I checked with the manufacturer of my VTECH phone, they say it is Comcast.  Here I am stuck in the middle with VTECH and Comcast pointing fingers at one another and my light blinking away. 

I have had this problem before and Comcast fixed it, but now they tell me  I need a new phone.  Where is Comcast?  Does anybody at your place read this mail?  Because a number of others are reporting the same problem. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Voicemail light won't go off and no voicemails in my inbox

This is funny because my phone is doing the same thing and I also tried everything to stop it from blinking.  I have cleared all my messages and it still blinking and its not my phone its new. Comcast it must be on your end, please HELP

Frequent Visitor

I know a phone tech with Comcast that I used to work with on a tech support job, handling computer support calls for Kroger.  I just left him a voicemail, since he gave me a business card and told me to call him direct if I ever needed any help.  I will update here if he has any idea about the problem and how to fix it.

Frequent Visitor

This is really weird.  We got a telephone call from our granddaughter about 4:30 PM today and after my wife hung the phone up, the message light went off for who knows why?  Five hours later it is still okay.  All I can think of somebody did something at the Comcast server site, or it just finally reset itself.  Because I have not heard back from my friend at Comcast yet.  After I talk to him tomorrow, I'll post any thoughts he has on this subject.

New Poster

I have the same problem and of course today is a holiday!

Frequent Visitor

CaptJDobbs,

I'll tell you the things I did, at Comcast's direction.  I don't know if any of these things fixed it, or whether they did something on the phone server that took care of it.  First I unplugged my phone system to see if it would reset, which had fixed this problem once before.  That did not work, so they asked me to unplug my modem from the power source for a few minutes and plug it back in and let it reboot.  I still had the problem.  I tried once again on unplugging the base station for my phone and still had the problem. Then later in the day after my wife hung up after talking to someone, the message light myteriously went off and it has been fine since.

Thge two gals that I talked to kept telling me that the problem was my telephone.  I knew better, since my background is in computer networks.  The phone is just a dumb intrument and gets its instructions from the server, where your messages are stored.  So when you retrieve your messages, they are stored on the server and voice instructions all are generated by Comcast's phone server.  From the look at the numbers of people having this problem, they have a glitch in their system, not a bunch of people whose phones are going bad.  

New Poster

I have the same problem and I also have a VTECH phone. I've had it for about 4 years so I was starting to think it was the phone that was the issue.

In addition to that I often have people call and tell me my voicemail box is full and they couldn't leave a message. Obviously that is never the case since that many people don't leave me voicemails.

I'll try the unplugging but I'm not sure why this has to happen at all. Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated because it's becoming very annoying.

Frequent Visitor

JBott,

In your case, I'm sure the problem isn't your phone.  If people call and get the message that "you're inbox is full", that message does not come from your phone.  Rather that message is generated from Comcast's voicemail server.  Because your phone is a dumb instrument and gets its instructions from the Comcast equipment.

I talked to my son-in-law about this on Thanksgiving.  He is a network engineer with Comcast and he confirmed that the problem I was having was definitely on Comcast's end.  I told him all of the things that I did on my end and he said that cures a lot of these issues.  But he thinks in my case they must have rebooted the sever after making some changes, which is really what fixed my problem.  If I were you, I'd contnue to press Comcsat on the problem and even place a service request.

New Poster

I found if I delete a voicemail without listening to it first, it will do this.  Once you get a "New" message in your deleted list, the light is stuck on until someone flushes it out. Sometimes you can just check the trash bin and find the culprit.  If it has aged out of there however, you probably need Comcast to flush it out.

New Poster

Voicemail light won't go off
Here is a solution that worked for me. Call your home phone from another phone and leave a message .then pick up your phone and after listening to the message delete it. And your message light should go off. It worked for me.
New Poster

I have tried to call comcast &get disconnected while waiting to speak to somebody. My voicemail light has been blinking for a week.Tried leaving a message from my cell phone &erase message but the light still blinks.Fix the problem.

New Poster

I have the same problem and tried all the solutions above and the New Voice Message meassage stays on my phone. Now I'm just hoping it will disappear the same way it appeared. I have no voice mail anywhere on my system. I have a Panasonic phone. It never did this until Comcast started the voice mail messaging thing. 

Service Expert

bscharf2 wrote:

I have the same problem and tried all the solutions above and the New Voice Message meassage stays on my phone. Now I'm just hoping it will disappear the same way it appeared. I have no voice mail anywhere on my system. I have a Panasonic phone. It never did this until Comcast started the voice mail messaging thing. 

Is there a setting within the Pansonic phone's menu that allows you to turn off the alert notification?   Curiious....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Yes, and it is turned off. It's not the phone it's Comcast VM.

New Poster

I have a Panasonc and the same issue started two days ago.

Regular Visitor

I have had the same problem off and on for years.  Multiple conversations with Comcast, plus resetting the modem, plugging and unplugging the base has not corrected the problem.  Just yesterday 11/13/14) was the last try and was told, like the other customers, it was my phone and my issue.  This situation always precludes delayed voice mails sent to my mailbox.  (The customer rep admitted that that issue is a Comcast problem.)   Later in the evening, we checked voice mails at 5:30 pm and the mailbox was empty.  At 7:30pm, I noticed new messages (2)and they were sent at 4:30 and 4:40 pm, but did not arrive until hours later.  Sometimes messages arrive as late as 2-3 days later.  This is unacceptable and we will have to change back to our local phone company.  We have tried everything suggested and nothing has worked, and Comcast has not fixed the problem.

New Poster

Have the same problem!!!!

New Poster

I have the same problem, but I don't even have the voice mail option activated, but I still can't clear my phone!