Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Voicemail Signal for land-line phone

Regular Visitor

Voicemail Signal for land-line phone

I haven't read all previous posts; I hope this isn't old stuff.

I'm looking for a phone device or attachment that will produce an AUDIBLE signal when voicemail messages have been left, similar to the repeating "beep" produced by old-fashioned answering machines. A "funny dial tone" requires a user to make the effort to check for messages; a flashing light isn't much better. Ideally, this device would simply plug into a standard phone jack. Do most people check their dial tone every time they return from outdoors?

There are many such apps for cell phones, I need one for my land-line phone. If such a device is available, please let me know where.

Cable Expert

Re: Voicemail Signal for land-line phone

I've never seen a audible one commercially.  The only place I can think of that can come up with one is at http://sandman.com  They have more unique phone devices than anywhere else.  They only show light up ones in their catalog, but give them a call and see what they can come up with.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Email Expert

I've never heard of an "old-fashioned answering machine" that has the beep you refer to. Every answering machine I've ever owned has just had a light.

I imagine there are places that sell phones for blind people that have phones with an audible voicemail indicator. http://tinyurl.com/5tzmuvp

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

"Old-fashioned" answering machines had a "beep" sound that occurred every 15 or 30 seconds or so whenever there was an answering machine message left on the machine. I've had several answering machines over the years; they ALL worked this way. I've never seen an answering machine without such a feature (although the "beep" could be turned off, if desired). Now, using Comcast's voice mail feature, the user has to listen to a dial tone to know if there is a message waiting. That means I have to check the dial tone each time I come in from outdoors or after doing any noisy activity where I couldn't hear an incoming call. I've checked and found MANY such applications for smart CELL PHONES that ring with a special ring tone every few minutes to remind the user of a waiting voice mail. Surely SOMEONE makes such a device for land-line phones on the Comcast system. (Comcast doesn't offer such a device, although at least one "Help" operator agrees that it would be a very useful feature or device.)

Email Expert

I admit I haven't had many different answering machines. I've owned just two of my own (one with a casette, and my current digital one), but I've also been in other people's homes with answering machines. They all had a blinking light to indicate new messages, no audible tone. It seems like that would be extremely annoying, since you might not want to listen to your messages immediately.

Anyway, was my suggestion to investigate phones for blind people helpful? They're the obvious users for whom blinking lights are not useful.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon