New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Voice mail insists upon Quicktime for playback

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Voice mail insists upon Quicktime for playback

DVC playback insists that I install Apple Quicktime. I already have 'Quicktime Alternative' version 1.81 installed which plays back QT and mov files just fine. It appears to me that DVC is "hard wired" (programmed) to look for only Apple Quicktime. Can anyone help with this?
Accepted Solution

Re: Voice mail insists upon Quicktime for playback

OK, this topic has pretty well reached a satisfactory conclusion although with work arounds. I will put a shortcut on my Desktop to go directly into DVC with IE7. My first voice mail was very low volume but subsequent voicemails have been fine. Some people just don't speak up!

Thank you to everyone who helped me. I consider this topic to be successfully closed.

-=Ken=-

Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-18-2008 10:25 AM
View answer in context
Official Employee

At this time, DVC supports QuickTime and Windows Media Player. QuickTime Alternative is not supported.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the reply.

I found on a nearby topic that CDV files are .WAV files. Proper programming would facilitate the use of any WAV handler to play back those files. Why does Comcast insist on forcing the use of genuine Apple Quicktime? Do Comcast programmers exclusively use Macs and want Windows users to operate like them? This is a serious question! I don't know of any audio players that don't support WAV files.

Frequent Visitor

I really wish you wouldn't mark this topic as solved! Your solution is unsatisfactory. Your programming standards are deficient. Your customer service attitude leaves much to be desired.

Please, do the job correctly.

Problem Solver

Ken, you can remove the "solved" mark by clicking on the "edit" over to the right on that post and selecting Unmark as Accepted Solution.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, slouke. I thought only admins could do that.

I hate to be a pest - and would rather not show anger. I think people ought to be civilized in these discussions. But..... people ought to push for proper solutions. Here is a 'tweaker'. 'Macintosh' is often a religion. And Mac programmers would rather force their view of how applications ought to be on the PC world.

I hope this is just an oversight. I'm sure many folks just go ahead and download the freebie version of Quicktime and be done with it. But I avoid Apple anything because of the inherent attitude. So, I use the freebie Quicktime Alternative version 1.81 because it will do everything Quicktime will do - and, up to v1.81, a free MPEG-2 decoder is included. Appple will charge $30 extra for that. And I use QT-Alt only for the free MPEG-2 playback capability.

As I have already stated in this topic, a WAV file can be played by most any audio player. It's a simple matter of invoking the WAV file handler which will start the user's preferred player. Any other solution is irresponsible programming and probably arrogant.

Please fix this properly!

Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-05-2008 09:36 PM
Official Employee

Try the latest version of QT Alternative. I found version 2.7.0 on http://codecguide.com/download_qt.htm.

Apparently it is working for me on my PC (Windows XP). The browsers I used are IE 6.0.x, FF 3.0.3 and Safari 3.2.1.

====updated 12/12/08======

what happened was I disabled Windows Media Player (wmp.dll and wmpdxm.dll) in IE and removed QT. But there was another plugin called Microsoft video_X_MS_WMV Moniker class enabled in my IE. I think it was actually used playing the voicemail.

Message Edited by Zhou on 12-12-2008 12:31 PM

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the reply,

It is good to know that a version of Quicktime Alternative will work with the web interface of CDV.  However, as related in my previous post, version 1.81 is the latest version that includes a freebie version of an MPEG-2 codec. That is really the only reason for installing it on my PC. It is unclear to me why a later version would be recognized by web CDV but not earlier versions. So I will continue my crusade insisting that Comcast do this correctly.

If the MPEG-2 decoder were not important to me then installing the freebie version of Apple Quicktime would not be so much of an issue. Again, this is simply a call for proper programming practices. WAV files should be playable by most any audio player.
Official Employee

We are in the process of migrating users from DVC to SmartZone (SZ). Some users are already on SZ. There is a SZ application that allows the browser to use any plugin that can play wav files. For SZ users who don't want to use QuickTime or Windows Media Player, select the "SmartZone Communication Center Lite" option under "Preferences/General".

Message Edited by Zhou on 12-16-2008 02:36 PM

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Seems I was already using SmartZone...........
Official Employee

Do you still have the same problem? Make sure you go to smartzone.comcast.net. I tried QT Alternative 1.81 on my PC. It can play voice messages from SZ but can not play from DVC.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I appreciate you staying with me, Zhou.

--------------------------------------------

Oh, my goodness! I'm in accronym hades.

CDV = Comcast Digital Voice

DVC = Digital Voice Center

SZCC = SmartZone Communications Center

I signed up for Comcast (Triple Play) for the first time ever about five weeks ago. When I signed in to DVC for the first time I recall seeing an offer for a new interface called SmartZone. Since I didn't want to learn a second interface when SZCC is mainstreamed I clicked on it and never went back. I ASSUMED that SmartZone was just a new, updated interface for DVC. I'm just an end-user, right?

I have had Quicktime Alternative v1.81 installed for perhaps a couple of years. Quicktime or QT-Alt is required for Adobe Premier Elements video editing software. I have been using it for about five years or so and that combination works fine. So, it is a mystery why my configuration won't work. SZCC always pops up a notice that Apple Quicktime is required for playback of voice mail messages on line.

Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-15-2008 07:25 PM
Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-15-2008 07:26 PM
Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-15-2008 07:29 PM
Email Expert

SmartZone is the replacement for Webmail, which is used for reading your email. CDV customers can also use it to listen to their Voicemail and view their call history, but I don't think it provides all of the functions of the Digital Voice Center (you can't use it to change phone settings like the number of rings before voicemail picks up).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Frequent Visitor

My SZCC 'Home' page shows email (webmail) and voice mail with a tab to select either. Once I selected SZCC it appears that I can no longer get into Digital Voice Center. All attempts invoke redirection into SZCC. I cannot find anything in my preferences that would allow me to go back to DVC, assuming I might really want to <shrug>.
Official Employee

When you are in SZ, you can go back to DVC. Go to Preferences, Call Manager, and click on "Visit Digital Voice Center" at the bottom of the page. SZ uses DVC to manage call features such as the number of rings at this time.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Try the "SmartZone Communication Center Lite" option under "Preferences/General". What OS and Browser do you use?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Zhou said "When you are in SZ, you can go back to DVC. Go to Preferences, Call Manager, and click on "Visit Digital Voice Center" at the bottom of the page. SZ uses DVC to manage call features such as the number of rings at this time."

Thanks for pointing that out. I was able to go back to the DVC that way. The redirection on login, however, still takes me to SZCC. There are more features available in DVC so I would like to toggle the default back to it but I have not found a way to do that.

Zhou said "Try the "SmartZone Communication Center Lite" option under "Preferences/General". What OS and Browser do you use? "

I tried the Lite option but it didn't seem to be much different. Besides, I prefer 'more' features rather than 'less'. I then saw your question about browser and (sound of hand slapping head) I said "ahah! Why didn't I think of that? OS is WinXP SP3, browser is Firefox 3.0.4 so I tried IE7 and SZCC brought up a stub of Windows Media Player 11 but it refused to play. DVC in IE7 played the file!

So that was successful. It is unknown to me whether Firefox will work correctly with Apple Quicktime but it has obvious limitations. The voice messages play but the sound level is very, very low. The sound gadget in the player window is maxed out. So I have to turn my speaker volume way up - and remember to turn it way down again afterwards to keep from getting blasted.

So, two remaining questions:

1. How to toggle the default interface back to DVC rather than SZCC, and

2. How to adjust the audio volume to be compatible with all other audio sources!

Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-17-2008 01:00 PM
Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-17-2008 01:02 PM
Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-17-2008 01:03 PM
Official Employee

I also noticed that Firefox (3.0.5) does not give users an option to select QT Alternative (1.81) to play wav files. Don't know why. In IE6, you can disable Windows Media Player plugins and enable QT object if you want to use QT Alternative.

For your questions

1. If you want to go to DVC directly, type http://digitalvoice.comcast.net in your browser and then bookmark it. I suggest you take a look at SmartZone as it has some functions that are not available in DVC, such as, address book. SmartZone will match all the features in DVC in the first half of 2009.

2. I'm not aware of any computer software that can adjust volume automatically based on applications. Maybe something for 3rd party developers to think about.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

OK, this topic has pretty well reached a satisfactory conclusion although with work arounds. I will put a shortcut on my Desktop to go directly into DVC with IE7. My first voice mail was very low volume but subsequent voicemails have been fine. Some people just don't speak up!

Thank you to everyone who helped me. I consider this topic to be successfully closed.

-=Ken=-

Message Edited by KenJ60 on 12-18-2008 10:25 AM