New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Voice 2go on two cell phones

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Voice 2go on two cell phones

Why can't I put the voice 2go activation on both mine and my wife's cell phone.  I created her own Comcast.net account but for some reason she cannot have access to the home phone number to activate the app on her cell phone.  I activated it on mine just fine but on hers it says I need to assign her a number.   I do not want another number I just want both of us to have tha ability to make WiFi calls from our cell phones using our home number.

I have spent hours trying to follow the instructions from Comcast on this only to find the steps and options they give do not seem to match.  How can I assign the home number to my wife's account so she can use the feature on her XFinity connect app too??

Accepted Solution

Re: Voice 2go on two cell phones

Hello bobiroc,

Voice2Go provides for a single username to single number mapping, multiple username's to single number is not allowed.

There is a single voicemail box per number.

A small number of clients are allowed to log in with the same username and then these clients look like coming from/to the number mapped to that username.

Using separate numbers will allow you to ring the home phone using the Advanced Call Forwarding (ACF) feature on the other numbers. However calls made from these separate numbers will appear to come from the actual number and not from the home phone.

You can also have the home phone ring out to the separate numbers using advanced call forwarding (or any other number).

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

bobiroc,

The way it works for me is my primary username on my account that has access to billing in Customer Central is the only user who can access the voicemail, setup call forwarding, view call history, place/recieve calls, or send/recieve text messages for your house phone number in Xfinity Connect Mobile App for either Android or iPhone. Secondary users do not have access to the home phone number for calling or text messaging they have their own individual number you can assign in Customer Central.

To do so login to My Account:

http://www.comcast.net and click on My Account upper right corner to get to billing.

Go to Users & Preferences and under the Primary User click on E-mail & Voice Settings 

Look on the right hand side under Additional Voice Settings and click on Voice2Go

From this screen you can add up to 4 additional secondary numbers with their own seperate phone number from your actual house phone number. You can then assign these 4 extra Voice2Go numbers to your secondary users.

Once you assign one of those numbers to your secondary user, they then can place calls over WiFi and text through their own seperate number. It's great because it only uses your data to either text or place/recieve calls so it doesn't count against your cellular minutes or text messages, only data.

I have not seen any settings in Customer Central to assign the house phone number to a secondary user on your account. The system appears to be designed to only grant secondary users access to their own specific number. The way you may have to do this is grant her secondary user access in Customer Central to View/Pay Bill and Voice Access if you haven't already and she can review the messages from the mobile site through her browser on the phone or through any computer. She won't be able to call this way but at least you can send/recieve text messages through a computer.

Hope this was helpful!

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply but it seems odd that my wife and I cannot share the same number.  I much rather have a feature that could have two voicemail boxes on the same number and the number can be shared so we can have the house number on our cell phones with the app to make and receive WiFi calls when away from home.   Having two numbers is confusing for many situations.

I suppose if I had children giving them their own number would be beneficial but not for my situation where it is just my wife and I..

If I set up a separate number will the house phone ring on both those numbers??

Frequent Visitor

Hello bobiroc,

Voice2Go provides for a single username to single number mapping, multiple username's to single number is not allowed.

There is a single voicemail box per number.

A small number of clients are allowed to log in with the same username and then these clients look like coming from/to the number mapped to that username.

Using separate numbers will allow you to ring the home phone using the Advanced Call Forwarding (ACF) feature on the other numbers. However calls made from these separate numbers will appear to come from the actual number and not from the home phone.

You can also have the home phone ring out to the separate numbers using advanced call forwarding (or any other number).

New Poster

I agree with bobiroc that it would be great to be able to have two smartphones ie husband and wife be able to answer the home phone remotely. Is there a technical reason this can't be done or just a "its not set up that way" reason?

New Poster

Re: Voice 2go on two cell phones Help

Help  When I click on the Voice 2 Go, All I get is a message to download the app on my iphone.  I get no other choices.  I have been on the phone with tech support for an hour.

New Poster

I also agree with this previous post about the need for multiple users to have Voice 2Go access on the home number.  My situation is exactly the same - husband and wife desiring the ability for either to receive / send calls from the home number.

In my case, I'm the primary account owner and have Voice 2Go setup on my phone.  My wife is the primary user of our home number, and I'm trying to figure out how to disable my access to Voice 2Go to have my wife use it.  However I don't think this can be done?  So for me, it's not a service that I'll be using.  Unfortunate.

Frequent Visitor

I totally agree, this is a major functionality fail!  Xfinity does it's customers no favor by not giving two family cell phones (his and hers) identical capabilities. There may be some technical reasons that prevent Xfinity from considering this an issue, but it is more likely that they simply erred and overlooked the need.  Now they think they have a finished product and likely will not give any attention to a correction.  Sigh....

New Poster

I am actually really excited by the idea of being able to use separate numbers for my wife and I. But I couldn't find anything on billing. Are the extra numbers for the Voice 2go included in the base voice cost? Or is there an additional charge? I only ask because I do not want to be surprised on next month's bill.

New Poster

I want exactly the same capability that bobiroc is asking for.

If I understand Comcast's response correctly, they recommend that the primary user give their username and password to the secondary user so that the secondary user can login to the Connect app with the primary user's credentials.

It sounds like this may work and I will give it a try.

But, I want to cast another vote for the ability to map more than one username to the home phone number.  Hopefully Comcast will consider this feature enhancement.