Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Using computer as phone/fax

Frequent Visitor

Using computer as phone/fax

I have not seen any information on using my computer to make or answer calls using a mike and speakers, or sending /receiving faxes.  Is this possible with CDV and if so is there any instruction on how to set it up?
Thanks, Rich
Email Expert

Re: Using computer as phone/fax

As far as CDV is concerned, your PC is just a phone or fax machine. And as far as the PC is concerned, CDV is just an ordinary phone line.

So it should work fine. Connect the computer's to CDV exactly the same way you would connect it to a regular phone line.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Barmar!  Are there some software packages used to acomplish this?  I have tried Googling a couple of things but mostly get Voip hits.
Email Expert

I assumed you already had this working with your regular phone line, and just wanted to know what you had to change now that you'd switched to CDV.

If not, then you're probably best off using Internet-based solutions, such as Skype for voice and eFax.com for faxing.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Winfax is a popular fax package.  I am guessing that you could get it from Ebay for $20 or less.  Older versions of Windows have a fax capability built into the operating system; you may have to install that option since I am not sure that it is installed with the default installation. 
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions.  Actually it has been a long time since I had that working way back in the dial up days.  The main thing that triggered my curiosity is that although I have 4 wireless hand sets for our phone, they get carried off and it never seems that I have one here by my computer when I am working on it.  Out of sheer laziness, I thought it would be nice if I could just click and answer like I used to back in the day.  I have talked to Comcast and they say that it is not a feature that CDV offers.  The internet based systems look like they work off of an independent number and I just want to deal with my home phone line.  What I have been able to determine is that this is doable with an old style voice/fax modem that are getting pretty hard to find.  Newegg offers 3 Encore modems that fit the bill, one even supporting video conferenceing.  All for under $9 and Vista compatible.  That is probably the route I will take.  I also have a copy of Wnifax Pro laying around but haven't investigated much to see if it will run with Vista.

Once I get it up and running I will report in case anyone else wants to do this.

Thanks again, Rich