Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Using Comcast voicemail vs answering machne

Regular Visitor

Using Comcast voicemail vs answering machne

I recently added Voice to our service.  Was told by the tech that we could continue to use the answering machine - desired since my wife is not a technophile but we could still use the features to check messages on line etc.  I asked him twice and he affirmed it.  For right now, the messages are still coming to the equipment; I haven't set up the Comcast voicemail.  

Has anyone else been successful in doing what the tech told me? Or is it all one way or the other?  I contacted Comcast to ask this question but got someone who didn't sound very knowledgeable - no confidence in her response.  She said it was either or but not both the way the tech told me.  Any opinions or thoughts from other users?

Cable Expert

Re: Using Comcast voicemail vs answering machne

You can't have it both ways, if the answering machine is set to pick up on 3 rings, then all messages will go there, and not to the voice mail.  Calls will go to the voice mail if your on the phone, then some people don't know they have a missed call, as they don't check the voice mail.

In this case, you need to know to check the voice mail for any missed messages that are parked in voice mail.  You will get a studdertone when you pick up the handset if there is a voice mail parked, and on some phones, there will be a blinking light when there is a voice mail not listened to.

Any messages on the answering machine can't be checked online, only voice mail.  Voice mail can also be configured to send a notification and the actual recording and a transcription of the message all to an email, and also to the Xfinity Connect app on a smart phone or tablet.

I know many who use it with both a answering machine and voice mail.  I find it easier to just use voice mail.

Checking for a voice mail while at home is as easy as seeing the light on the phone blinking, listening to the studdertone and dialing *99 on the home phone.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Any idea how to disable the Xfinity VM?

I had it set up previously and could listen to messages on phone or the "readable" email online.  The online system shut down for quite some time, suddenly came back and now my phone AM doesn't pick up and I can't play black messages on my phone.

Can't find how to "turn off" only turn on.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Cable Expert

Comcast voice mail can be permanently disabled by calling Comcast support.  There is no other way to disable it.

1-800-266-2278

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks, I did call Comcast and was given a DIY resolution.