Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Using 2 Modems

New Poster

Using 2 Modems

Right now comcast has me renting a Arris TM502G Modem for both Internet and phone. Before i had Phone service with comcast i was using my own SB5120. The Arris TM502G seems to be working fine however i am needing to move the computer in to a room without a telephone jack so the Arris modem will no longer be usable. Both rooms have a cable jack so I was curious if i would be able to some how be able to connect both the modems and use the Arris as phone only and use the SB5120 for internet, as it would be the easiest solution??? 

I've called customer support a couple of times however i seem to be getting different answers, i've been told everything from it is possible but i would have to call back during regular business hours, Its not possible and i would have to purchase a wireless router, to   It can be done however a tech would have to come out and i would be charged $125.

I'm curious of a couple of things:
-it is possible?
-what would need to be done?

I'm in a Ex-Insight market if it matters

-Thanks
Email Expert

Re: Using 2 Modems

There have been postings in the CDV forum saying that people have used separate modems for the HSI and CDV, so it's clearly possible. I'm moving this thread from Connection to CDV, you'll probably get the best help there.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

you can do it.  you have to call into the internet tech support people and have them re-add the cable modem back onto your account.
Regular Contributor

Dear Mike234,

You most assuredly are able to use two separate modems in your home: one specifically provisioned for your CDV service, and the other for your internet service. I would suggest contacting customer service again, and asking them to schedule you for a service call to have a second modem installed and provisioned for the internet service. There may very well be a service charge, but $125 sounds just a little too high. Be sure and ask the agent to quote you an accurate charge for the service call before making your decision. Please feel free to contact me if you have any problems.

Richard

Email Expert

Richard, he said that the second modem is his customer-owned modem, not a leased modem from Comcast. So does he really need a service call to install it? Or can he just connect it to the cable in the other room and call Comcast so they can provision it?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Hi Barmar,

Well, actually yes, but I did misspeak when I said that the modem needed to be installed. The process actually involves de-provisioning the eMTA (internet service only), and then re-provisioning the subscribers modem with the internet service. Unfortunately, it generally does require a technician at the home to complete the process.

Richard