Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Updating your modem

Frequent Visitor

Updating your modem

There are not enough websites available, blog's available to explain dealing with Comcast/Verizon.  Informed me that my modem that I've been renting for years, is to slow to take adavantage of their new higher speed.  So I signed up, for the free upgrade, did a speed test before updating.  Suprised to find I was only doing 12 MBS.  Surely I needed an upgrade. 

I put off installing the new modem knowing I would suffer some downtime.  Late today I figured, why not.  So installed the new modem.  Not without some downtime, but back online to the internet, except for my telephone, through Comcast, which apparently goes through the modem as well.  While I'm on the internet, I can't call 911.  And while I may may not have found the correct customer service number.  The number given me I had to call on a cell phone.  They work business hours.. 

PS  I haven't tested, but my connection is no faster than it was, I don't know where they come up with those connection numbers.

Maybe inhouse, in the real world not even.

New Poster

Re: Updating your modem

I had a perfectly good Motorola modem and was using MagicJack for my telephone.  Then my two grandsons moved in and started using the Internet to play their stupid video games 24/7.  This caused MagicJack to garble the phone calls.  I don't particularly care about their complaints about the slow Internet, but I can no longer deal with my Wife who can't get calls from her friends, etc.  So, after trying to upgrade my router to block off  the gamers, I have now purchased an Arris TM722g modem and am trying to get the Comcast phone connected.  I spent some time last night providing the new modem serial no. and new IP address, etc.  The Internet connection now works since I am communicating on it.  I got on for help with the phone.  After some jerk told me that I had to use their modem, he finally gave me a service number to call; but he said that the service people were only available M-F during business hours.

New Poster

I am having the same problem. Thanks for posting this!!!

New Poster

Same here.  Told we needed to upgrade our modum.  Went in and got their new one. Hooked it up and internet is working great but no phone.  The lights do not even come on, on the modem.  Guess I need to also call service.  Oh and by the way.

If you need to find out what time the comcast offices are open to, don't bother looking on the internet or calling them.  They are not listed and the person I got on my phone while going to their store could not look up when the store closed.

Frequent Visitor

I was told I needed to replace my (working) Xfinity voice phone modem, which I agreed to do.  I Installed the new modem and only now do I find that I must buy a backup battery for it to work during power outages.  My previous modem had the battery included at no charge.

Am I being ripped off, or what?

Gold Problem Solver

caymancunha wrote: ... If you need to find out what time the comcast offices are open to, don't bother looking on the internet or calling them.  They are not listed ...

See http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/shop/retail/StoreLocator.html

Service Expert

televe wrote:

I was told I needed to replace my (working) Xfinity voice phone modem, which I agreed to do.  I Installed the new modem and only now do I find that I must buy a backup battery for it to work during power outages.  My previous modem had the battery included at no charge.

Am I being ripped off, or what?

YOu are not being ripped off...but if you also have a computer/personal router near this equipment, I would highly reccomend you purchase your own UPS system and plug the phone modem into it....no need for modem battery then!  <VBG>

Good luck!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon