Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Unable to play voice mail recordings on smartphone

New Poster

Unable to play voice mail recordings on smartphone

Comcast recently changed the format of the e-mails received by customers when voicemails are left on their Comcast Voice system. Previously, the e-mails were fairly bare-bones, with a transcript of the message, and an audio file (.wav) of the recording itself. For me, this worked fine.

The new e-mails are formatted for smartphones, and contain the same information, which is fine. However, since the change was made, I can no longer play the audio files on my iPhone 4s. I've confirmed the problem is on Comcast's end, by locating an "old-format" notification e-mail from a week or two ago, and the audio plays just fine. However, when I try to open the audio file from a new notification, the player aborts within a half-second.

I confirmed it's not a null-recording of a hang-up. I logged into my Comcast account using a desktop computer, and was able to access the voicemail audio.

Has anyone else encountered this?  I suspect that Comcast changed some aspect of the .wav formatting such that it will no longer play on iPhones.