Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Totally frustrated with installation for digital voice

New Poster

Totally frustrated with installation for digital voice

I experienced a very frustrating experience with the installation process for digital voice.  First, incomplete install, technician did not followup; lost internet access, had to reaccess email, etc. etc., and numerous phone calls to Comcast to resolve and was given misinformation at times.    New modem installed and I was not informed that I needed to have the modem hooked into a phone line; therefore lost phone service until technician can return and activate phone jack, resulting in 3 days of no home phone service.  No literature furnished on digital voice services or how to access, etc.  Had to return old modem (Comcast technician should have taken with him).  I now have to pay an additional cost to have the phone jack activated.  I feel Comcast needs to inform customer of the requirements necessary to utilize digital voice services.  Also when calling 1-800-COMCAST an option to access customer services for digital voice should be made available.  At present you can only select Cable, high speed internet.  I am requesting a credit on the installation cost and credit for lost time for no phone service.
Email Expert

Re: Totally frustrated with installation for digital voice

I've moved the thread from the Digital Voice Center forum, since it's about Digital Voice, not the DVC web site.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

I am sorry to see that you had so many issues with the installation of your service.

The technician should have told you that the modem (eMTA) provides your internet and phone service. He should have also verified that dial tone, incoming calls and your internet connection are all working prior to leaving the job. Additionally, the install technician should have returned your cable modem for you and noted this on the work order. I have contacted his supervisor to correct this problem.

If you have completely lost dial tone (that is, you cannot get dial tone by plugging a telephone directly into the eMTA) the process is that the agent should request "must do quota" for the first available technician. We will generally have a technician at your home within 24 hours. I am working to ensure that this process is being followed. As for the misinformation, we are constantly training and performing quality audits on all of our agents to make sure that this does not happen.

You may be able to restore telephone service for at least one telephone yourself before the technician arrives: connect a regular corded telephone directly to the back of the eMTA in the "tel ½" jack. This will give you dial tone on that one telephone. I apologize for the inconvenience, but at least this temporary fix will provide you with a usable phone connection.

I am sending you a welcome kit. If you would like I can also email you one; just contact me .

From what I can see on your account, the installation technician should have connected our service to the inside wiring. There should be no additional charge for activating the existing telephone jacks.

As for calling 1-800-COMCAST and not getting the option for digital voice repair I have addressed this and it should be fixed shortly.

Thank you for posting these issues so that we can improve our service to you!

Regular Visitor

I totally understand.  When my phone service was installed they neglected to tell me that, because of where I live, I could only have one phone, no extensions.  My choices were to live with one phone or get a cordeless phone with the number of handsets I required instead of extensions.  What a drag, why don't they tell people these things before they give up phone service that allows extensions and that actually works.  They didn't offer to pay for the extra phones.