Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

This Ain't Your Father's Phone Company

Frequent Visitor

This Ain't Your Father's Phone Company

Well, like the saying goes "This ain't your father's Oldsmobile" well "Comcast ain't your father's phone company."  Switched two phone lines yesterday  to CDV. I anticipated some glitches. However,  24 hours later, one works. One does not. Unfortunately, the one that doesn't is our home's main line. It gets a dial tone and you can make calls, however nobody can call us. Phone doesn't ring. Voicemail doesn't pick up. CDV service is sketchy at best. First was told that it was a Verison switching issue. Verizon has said they've done everything they are supposed to. Now, I'm being told by CDV that it's "escalated" and they are working on it. It could take 2 hours or 3 days. Seriously, here's the quote from CDV service with regard to the timeframe and the "escalation" department:  "I don't know they're out in Denver, so I can't tell you what's happening right now." Well, I'm in New Jersey and that doesn't help. So, here's the deal, I informed Comcast that if I didn't have service in 24 hours that it would "escalate" my decision to cancel the service and go back to Verizon. You see, I'm their golden boy customer and should be treated as such: I've got Internet, Digital Cable and now Voice. I also happen to be located in one of few areas that has had Verizon Fiberoptic cable laid recently. For Christ's sake, Brian Roberts should be personally knocking on my door to find out what's going on and how he can help. Comcast, don't pester the **bleep** out of me to adopt your phone service and then leave me in a lurch with no phone service. If you are adopting CDV, here's some advice. Don't let the Comcast tech leave your home without evidence that it's working; this means getting someone from outside the home to call in.  Oh, by the way Comcast, if you'd like to help... call me if you can.
Frequent Visitor

Re: This Ain't Your Father's Phone Company

Ok. I got one better than Brian Roberts coming to my home. Geoff, who is a Comcast employee and the monitor this forum, saw my problem and got it straightened out lickety split. Something his colleagues in CDV serviceland couldn't seem to figure out. Thanks Geoff. I am (for the moment) a happy CDV customer. Looking forward to the cost savings. 
Connection Expert

i seen this before
if i understand right
 the second phone are using the phone wires your old phone service used??

if that wire is still connect to the phone box outside the phone company signal is the cause of you problem

open the box  and disconnect wires to house and it should be fine

i did not read second post
what was the solution

Message Edited by Jo on 10-19-2006 10:46 PM

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Hi Jo,

You are right that having both the phone company lines and the eMTA connected to the wiring inside your home can cause problems.

However, Comcast recommends against doing any work on your phone box and calling us for assistance instead. Traditional telephone lines carry their own separate electric circuit with power supplied by the telephone company (this is why telephones work even if you lose power at home; with Comcast Digital Voice, the eMTA uses a backup battery to provide telephone service during a power outage).

In this case, the problem was not at knamkraps' home but on our switch. I contacted one of our day-of-install provisioning technicians (these are the people our install techs call to have your service turned on) and they made the fix for me.

Geoff.

Connection Expert

thanks GeoffG

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon