Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TV Caller ID Shows Incoming Call But Never Rings My Number

New Poster

TV Caller ID Shows Incoming Call But Never Rings My Number

Seems to be happening with more frequency now. An incoming call message appears on my TV screen - sometimes with a name and number, sometimes just a number. The phone does not ring. We pick up the phone and there is only a dial tone. We do not recognize the numbers but I have started to jot them down when I have the opportunity. It's annoying to have them show on the screen when the call apparently has nothing to do with us

Service Expert

Re: TV Caller ID Shows Incoming Call But Never Rings My Number

evelynrake01 wrote:

Seems to be happening with more frequency now. An incoming call message appears on my TV screen - sometimes with a name and number, sometimes just a number. The phone does not ring. We pick up the phone and there is only a dial tone. We do not recognize the numbers but I have started to jot them down when I have the opportunity. It's annoying to have them show on the screen when the call apparently has nothing to do with us

You did not post the information about the phone you are using, but I found that when my phone was not ringing, but would show VM, and would show flashing light for calls being taken, that the MUTE RING setting was enabled.    Once I turned that OFF, the RINGER would work as designed.

Good luck!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

This is also happening to us after a storm knocked out several utility services around town.  All services have been restored except for Xfinity voice.  We see phone calls coming in on our TV but the phone does not ring.  We also cannnot phone out.  Suggestions as to issue please.

New Poster

Thanks for your reply but I do not believe it applies to my situation. The phone is working just fine. It rings for all other calls. I actually called one of the numbers showing on the screen and they were trying to connect to a completely different number.

Service Expert

longcustom wrote:

This is also happening to us after a storm knocked out several utility services around town.  All services have been restored except for Xfinity voice.  We see phone calls coming in on our TV but the phone does not ring.  We also cannnot phone out.  Suggestions as to issue please.

Don't know of this will work for you but you could try this:  

1.  Remove power from gateway device ( pull plug from wall )

2.  If Gateway has a battery backup, turn over and remove battery as well.

3.  ALlow to sit for 30 seconds

4.  PLug gateway back into power source ( wall )

5.  Reinstall battery into gateway if equipped.

6.  Allow Gateway to reacquire signal to CC network....this may take up to 5-10 minutyes depending on signal levels...

This will perform a cold reboot of your gateway and ususally fixes such strange behaviour....

Good luck!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Cold Reboot (see below) fixed my problem thanks