Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TELEMARKETERS

Frequent Visitor

TELEMARKETERS

After questioning 4 companys how they got my NEW PHONE NUMBER I got the same response. It was sold to them from a company that bought them from guess who? COMCAST!!!! We were reassured that nobody would ever get our number through them. I guess I really asked the guy from Marketing Plus his home Number so that I could call him at dinner time. Tom from SPECTRACOM had the same answer.Ditto for AJAX MA INC.Any one else get these annoying calls from these companys? COMCAST IM PUTTING YOU ON NOTICE. yOU ARE BEING REPORTED TO THE FCC FOR SELLING MY NUMBER!
Email Expert

Re: TELEMARKETERS

Have you put your number on the national Do-not-call registry? Go to www.donotcall.gov.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hi Stinkybrn,

It is Comcast's policy not to share your account information with  third parties, except as may otherwise be permitted by our Privacy Policy located at
www.comcast.com/phone_privacy

Comcast takes the privacy of its customers very seriously.  In order for us to investigate your concerns, please contact our Telemarketing Coordinator in Philadelphia
, so that she can gather additional information.   Or, if you could please forward your name and telephone number directly to me, our Telemarketing Coordinator get in touch with you promptly.

I am sending message to your email as well.

Thank you for your inquiry.

JuanG

Frequent Visitor

Well, according to your policy, you can share our information with other companies. In this day and age, with all the privacy acts out there, it is unreal that COMCAST would still share our information. Thanks for the hassle.Man Mad
Most Valued Poster

Stinkybrn wrote:
Well, according to your policy, you can share our information with other companies. In this day and age, with all the privacy acts out there, it is unreal that COMCAST would still share our information. Thanks for the hassle.Man Mad

In this day and age....information = $$$
But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Signature courtesy of Bladerunner
Most Valued Poster

Stinkybrn wrote:

Hi Stinky..

That was a "Smart" move on your part , to ask those people where they got your phone number.. 

I have Caller ID and NEVER pick up the phone for "Out of the Area" calls or Names & Numbers that I don't know and they never leave a message.. so I know it's a "Junk" call..

My Number is Non-Published and I do have Landline..  and will keep Landline....
Email Expert

Telemarketers don't need to get your number from anywhere. They can just dial all the numbers in your area.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

Barmar wrote:
Telemarketers don't need to get your number from anywhere. They can just dial all the numbers in your area.

I agree... that is why I don't answer calls that I don't know on Caller ID..

But Stinky was smart and asked the people where they got his number FROM and they said Comcast..
Security Expert

Drewby wrote:

Barmar wrote:

I agree... that is why I don't answer calls that I don't know on Caller ID..

But Stinky was smart and asked the people where they got his number FROM and they said Comcast..

Let's see.. and now we actaully believe telemarketers?  I  mean.. really...
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

CajunTek wrote:

Let's see.. and now we actaully believe telemarketers?  I  mean.. really...

Let's see.. and now we actaully beLIEve telemarketers?  I  mean.. really...  (there fixed it)

But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Signature courtesy of Bladerunner
Frequent Visitor

"As a customer of the Services, you have the right, and Comcast has a duty, under federal law, to protect the confidentiality of CPNI(CUSTOMER PROPRIETARY NETWORK INFORMATION) . Unless we obtain your approval in accordance with the “Approval” section below, Comcast may not use this CPNI to market products and services to you other than the Services."

If you read Comcast's privacy policy, it basically says that they can give your information to anyone unless you say no. It is "assumed" that you approve of this unless you contact them. I called Comcast and was placed on a "do not call" and "do not solicit" list. This is not the same as the "do not publish list" which they'll charge you a monthly fee to be included on. To be sure, you should call Comcast and request to be placed on do not call and do not solicit lists.

Regular Contributor

I got a temp # installed for CDV while my porting process finishes from Vonage.  CDV was installed with the the temp # on 9/29 since the middle of last week I have been getting phone calls from I don't know how many companies.  That phone isn't used at all right now since I have no need to.  I would say I am averaging 7 to 10 calls a day from various companies some calling twice a day.

Today my number is going to be ported so that temp # goes away.  All I can say is it will be nice not to have that.

Another thing people should think of is make sure your # cell, home, etc. are on the Do Not Call list.  Takes about 30 or 60 days to take effect.  I get no where near the calls I used since I put all my phones on that.  I believe there is some loop hole that they can call you but it does help.

Message Edited by GDM_Husky on 10-19-200610:17 AM

Regular Contributor

A few words about avoiding telemarketers. Most telemarketers work by pulling your name and number right out of the telephone directory. As knamkraps mentioned, for a small monthly fee, you can have your number non-published (that is not listed in the directory, online or in 411).

Another solution is to be added to the National Do Not Call Registry. You can also have your number added to the registry by calling (888) 382-1222. Some states have stricter controls on telemarketers; you should check your state government's website for more details.

Be aware that the National Do Not Call Registry does not stop calls from charitable or political organizations. Organizations that are conducting a legitimate survey can also contact you. It also does not stop calls from companies with which you have an ongoing business relationship or companies you have given written permission to call.

If you are transferring your service from one carrier to another, and your number was on the registry, you should re-register the number.

Telemarketers have 31 days from the date you register to remove you from their calling list.

For more information, check out the registry's FAQ.

Geoff.

Frequent Visitor

Please, no personal attacks on the forums.

Please review the Forum Guidelines.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Message Edited by GeoffG on 10-19-2006 01:58 PM

Frequent Visitor

SO YOU ADMITT THAT UNLESS WE PAY COMCAST A FEE, THEY DO SELL OUR NUMBERS. IF SO WHY DONT THEY GIVE US OUR #  31 DAYS BEFORE IT CAN BE INSTALLED.  **Post edited to remove personal attack**

Message Edited by GeoffG on 10-19-2006 02:13 PM

Regular Contributor

Just to clarify how the system works: when you sign up for land-line telephone service with any carrier, your directory listing information is submitted to the companies who publish telephone directories, online directory listing services and to 411, so people can look up your number. Some people prefer not to have their number made publicly available. Those people can have their number made "non-published" for a small monthly fee.

The 31 days is a separate issue. That is the time between when you submit your telephone number to the federal government's national do not call list and when telemarketers can no longer call your number. Please see the FTC's FAQ on this issue.

I am locking this thread as I do not believe there will be any further constructive discussion on this topic.