Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Stopping "junk" calls

New Poster

Stopping "junk" calls

I discovered a way to stop unsolicited calls (bogus offers) - from Robo dialers that are use the Comcast IP address - to customers with a Comcast telephone line connected to a Comcast cable modem/router/EMTA device .  Using the Internet browser, log onto the Comcast modem (10.0.0.1) and reset Firewall security for both IPv4 and IPv6 to Custom Security with the following parameters checked:

1. Block ICMP

2. Block Multicast

3. Block peer-to-peer applications

4. Block IDENT (port 113)

I have not tested whether some of these do not need to be checked.  However, 48 hours after checking these four items, there has not been a single unsolicited call to either of our Comcast telephone numbers.  I also tested whether the phone lines still work and can access voice mail; these settings have no effect on Comcast phone features.  However, it may block Skype or other applications.

For those who prefer images of the settings, I have created a small Adobe file that can easily be viewed using Adobe Reader.  If you do not have Adobe Reader, you can download it from adobe.com.

New Poster

Re: Stopping "junk" calls

Another slick feature is at www.nomorobo which Comcast supports.  It blocks about 90% of the junk robo calls and is easy to set up and is free.  Just remember to enter your own number as well as the number the web site gives you.  Good calls go to you and bad calls go to NoMoRobo.  This is the company that won a competition put on by the FCC on methods to blocks robo calls.