Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Static and voice is dropping in and out

New Poster

Static and voice is dropping in and out

I started getting static a few weeks ago on my phone line.  Nothing has changed as far as setup or equipment.  Callers i'm on the phone with say my voice drops in and out and it's very frustrating for them.  It just started happening!  I use a deskphone connected to a wireless headset.   I made sure my headset and wireless router are on separate channels.  What would cause this and what else can I try?

Thank you

Cable Expert

Re: Static and voice is dropping in and out

Static is caused by a fault in the inside phone wiring, jacks, splices, cords or phone equipment.

To troubleshoot, start by plugging in a known good wired telephone directly to the L1/L2 jack on the telephony modem.  If it works, then the issue is with the phone wiring in the home.  Every jack, splice and connection will need to be gone over to find and fix the issue.  Loose connections, corrosion and defective jacks, cords and equipment all can cause static on the line.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Static and voice is dropping in and out

I have replaced all wires and the static still perisists - what else can it be?  I work from home so this is very frustrating for my clients.  The phone is plugged directly into the modem with a new wire - still static  Smiley Sad