New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Splitter on phone line

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Splitter on phone line

I want to have my phone line split into two physical lines-one to my phone and one to my fax machine.  When I try this, using "Tel 1", all the lights blink and the phone goes off-line.  What am I doing wrong?

Accepted Solution

Re: Splitter on phone line

Try plugging the fax machine "line" input into the modem at the telephone jack and then plug your telephone into the fax machine at its "telephone" jack.  This is my configuration and I've never had any problem.

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

Try plugging the fax machine "line" input into the modem at the telephone jack and then plug your telephone into the fax machine at its "telephone" jack.  This is my configuration and I've never had any problem.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue, EXCEPT I cannot plug the "mother" phone into the fax machine.. they are on different levels of the house.  Why don't the phone jacks in the wall work?  Comcast/Xfinity came out and installed the lines so I know they are theirs...

Another question.... Why are Xfinity Techs NOT replying to these messages??!!  Shouldn't they be monitoring for problems... one would think.. LOL

Frequent Visitor

Your issue  is a little different.  Try plugging the telephone out connection from the cable modem into the nearest wall outlet for your telephone wiring (your extensions should be bridged together in the box outside).  You should now be able to plug your fax into the outlet upstairs and your "mother" phone into it, or your fax and phone into seperate outlets.  If this is not the case, Comcast has very excelent customer service available at 1 (800) comcast.   They apparently do read, if not answer the forums.

Frequent Visitor

There is no "Telephone Out"... THAT would solve all issues and that is why I have a splitter....  So what you seem to be saying is that without the splitter, there is no way for any of the wall jacks to work?

Official Employee

Your fax machine is shorting out your phone. Make sure the phone cords are snug, or replace phone cords.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Ess, where is your splitter for lines at, a phone has to go from the modem into a wall jack to back feed to the other jacks in the house

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon