Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Spam my name & phone number Caller ID

Contributor

Spam my name & phone number Caller ID

I just got an automated spam call from some sort of bot - it showed up on my caller ID as my own personal name and home phone number. How TF is that even possible?

Problem Solver

Re: Spam my name & phone number Caller ID

Someone is spoofing your number is how that happens.
Contributor

Had to look that up lol Interesting and annoying. Thanks for responding.

Regular Visitor

Call the FCC and file a complaint, they are working with the Federal Trade Commission also to shut this company down.  They are being investigated but there is nothing you can do once they have your caller id.  It is weird to look at the caller Id and see it is your number! 

Frequent Visitor

That's creepy!!  A few years back that happened with Email....being spoofed.  Many robo/telemarketing calls are being spoofed....but it being my name and number would totally freak me out!!

~GG

Problem Solver

chee4me wrote:

Call the FCC and file a complaint, they are working with the Federal Trade Commission also to shut this company down.  They are being investigated but there is nothing you can do once they have your caller id.  It is weird to look at the caller Id and see it is your number! 

The FCC cannot do anything if the number is spoofed.  You would need the name of the company, along with a phone number or person calling you.  All you can do is ignore these calls when they come through.

Regular Visitor

Same thing happen to me this week after contacting comcast and scheduling service for a tech to come out.  Is there a weak spot in Comcast telecommunication system?  Just don't fall for the scam where after being on the phone with comcast you'll get a call stating you've been selected to receive a $500 gift card to spend at any major store, just pay the handling charge of $4.95 to have it shipped to you.