Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Setting Up a Fax to Share One Phone Line

New Poster

Setting Up a Fax to Share One Phone Line

Hello, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I need the specific configuration to set up my fax/printer/scanner to share the line with my phone. I have read dozens of posts and studied a couple of schematics but none look like my set-up so I hope someone can provide specifics for my situation.

The line coming out of the cable modem on my desk drops down under my desk to a little free-floating box with two female phone plug outlets. The modem line goes into the outlet marked "DSL/HPN."  The other outlet is marked "Phone." One the other end of the freefloating box, the male end goes into a small box screwed onto my baseboard.

The "baseboard" box has two female outlets. One goes to my second phone in the kitchen. The other outlet is inactive; my AT&T line used to plug in here but I discontinued service.

Back to the little free-floating box...when my phone is plugged in to the "Phone" outlet, it works fine. When I add a splitter to the Phone outlet and plug the phone into half, the phone still works fine. But when I plug my fax into the other side of the splitter and try to fax out, nada. No apparent connection between the fax and the live phone line.

I have tried various configurations (line into fax, then phone into fax EXT) but nothing seems to work.  Please note, I do not have a wall outlet with two input plugs; just the one that goes to my kitchen extension. (All the schematics I have seen are based on a walloutlet with two plugs.)

Many thanks for any help you can provide. After 4 hours of this, I'm going to the kitchen and cook with some wine!

P.S. Just found my fax spec sheet. It is a Brother MFC-7820N with Baud rate of 33.6k bps. Do I need to try to reduce this to 14.4?

Cable Expert

Re: Setting Up a Fax to Share One Phone Line

The free floating box is a DSL filter from when you had DSL service and is not a splitter, but a filter.

You should remove the DSL filter and add a phone splitter that will give you two more phone jacks, so one can go the the fax machine.

These little phone splitters are available everywhere, drug stores, big-box stores, Radio Shack.

The DSL filter will not work, it is intended only to filter out the DSL signals on the phone line.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Hey JayInAlg, Thanks for that info. Now that I think about it, I remember having those filters on my old AT&T phone line. I will remove it pronto.

Still need the fax/phone configuation though, if anyone can help out with that. Many thanks!

Cable Expert

The fax just plugs into the regular phone line, you can add the phone splitter at the eMTA telephony modem or at any phone jack in the house.

You might need to adjust the baud rate on the printer fax to work on CDV.  It is all very simple, just plugs in just like a phone.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

What is the "eMTA telephony modem"?  Is that the Comcast modem?  I only have the one phone jack on my baseboard that goes to my kitchen extension so I have to have a three-way splitter that goes from the modem to my fax, to my desk phone, and then to my one wall jack that goes to my kitchen extension?

Sorry for the questions but I don't seem to have the standard set-up that I have seen in the other schematics. I just have the one wall plu but three devices.

Thank you.

Cable Expert

The eMTA is the modem, technically a telephony modem because you have CDV.

Look for a phone splitter similar to this, available everywhere.  This would be to plug in 2 phones or phone & fax to the phone wall jack. 

phone splitter.JPG

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon