Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Self install. Digital Voice

New Poster

Self install. Digital Voice

I'm doing a self install for both my grandmother and mom. Everything is hooked up except for the phone. I thought we had to wait till the old phone carrier deactivated their service to do so (as I was told from the Comcast office) I have heard many conflicting things from various Comcast employees about it, but I was wondering  about one thing I heard. Does anyone know if you have to disconnect the phone service wire from the NID box? Any help would be appreciated.

Cable Expert

Re: Self install. Digital Voice

Please share your basic location, as I've heard of doing CDV install's when a number port is involved, but never heard of one.  There are some area's that do self install for new numbers only.

So, the answer is yes, if you are going to backfeed the dial tone from the eMTA into the home's inside wiring, then you must disconnect the inside wiring at the NID first, and make sure there is no way for the plug in the NID to be reconnected back into the public phone network.

Many times, even after the number port, the old dial tone might take a week or more before it is turned off at the central office, and there are still times that the dial tone will no longer be there, but there will still be talk battery on the telco's line, that must be isolated from the Comcast dial tone.

I've seen some installations, where after the telco's phone service is turned off, they come out and strip out all the guts from the NID, so be prepared to splice all your inside wiring together if your existing inside wiring is dependent on being spliced together inside the NID.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Self install. Digital Voice

Thank you. That answers my question.