Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Self Install New Xfinity Modem

Regular Visitor

Self Install New Xfinity Modem

I do not plan to attempt to install this new modem because it will only frustrate me.  The cost of installation will be worth it to me

because I hope the technician can get it to work without me worrying about it,  Comcast should have had technicians install these units, it would have made life easier for all of us.  I was always able to install these things myself but this seems a little more complicated even though Comcast/Xfinity makes it sound so easy, I don't believe it is when you open the box.  

Has anybody out there callled Comcast to do the installing?  If so, what was the result? How long did it take?  What was the price?

Thank you,

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Self Install New Xfinity Modem

It is easy, don't let all the wiring and stuff that came in the box intimidate you, all you really need to use is the power cord, you can reuse all the other wires that you already have.

New Poster

It doesn't look easy to me.  The new modem is different from the one in the instructions in the box and the self-install video on the Comcast website.  Also, I have a router bwtween the modem and (1) my computer and (2) an ethernet switch connecting to our other computer in the house.  Where are instructions for self-installing new modem-to-router-to-computers?  And I also am wondering how much it will cost me, in time and dollars, for a Comcast technician to do this.

Silver Problem Solver

Of cource the modem you get may be a different model then the ones in the instructions, but the functions are the same so it doesn't matter. If you have a seperate router then hook it up the same way the old modem was hooked up.

Connection Expert

If the new "modem" is actually a combo gateway device, then it should be put in to full bridge mode if you want to continue to use your existing router / home network. Cascading two routing devices is not a good idea due to double NAT.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Technican visit fees visit by market. In my area a simple trip for Comcast is around $35 and take no more than 2 hours, depending on what is being serviced/installed. 

An installation (cable, voice and internet) I had done earlier this year cost $180.00 (installed 3 cable boxes and 1 cable fish) and took about 2 hours.

I've seen some customers have the installation fee waived when just having equipment be installed without any additional work, such as wire tap installations.