Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Returning a call using Caller ID...

Regular Visitor

Returning a call using Caller ID...

When I receive a call the Caller ID shows the number without the country code (1).  However, Comcast Digital Voice requires us to dial 1 before calling a different area code.  So, whenever I miss a call and want to call the party back using their number in Caller ID, it fails.  I have to write the number down then dial it.  Really annoying and frustrating.  Before I switched to Comcast I didn't have the problem with Vonage.  I could dial numbers without a 1.

Does anyone know how to adjust settings so that I either don't have to dial 1 or Caller ID numbers show up with the country code?

I searched the forums and couldn't find any posts like this one.  I'm surprised no one else is having this issue. 

Email Expert

Re: Returning a call using Caller ID...

This is apparently a known limitation. The FAQ on Call Return specifically says "will not work for long-distance or international numbers."

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks Barmar.  Although I am not referring to the Call Return feature, it seems to be an overall limitation of the system.  I guess I'm out of luck.
Frequent Visitor

What type of phone do you have? I mean manufacturer. I've run into this out in the feild and am looking to find a solution or a common denominator.
Regular Visitor

Uniden PowerMax 5.8GHz.  It doesn't seem like the phone should matter.  The Comcast voice system should allow us to make domestic calls without dialing a '1' first.
Email Expert

rammy wrote:
Uniden PowerMax 5.8GHz.  It doesn't seem like the phone should matter.  The Comcast voice system should allow us to make domestic calls without dialing a '1' first.

My Verizon landline phone requires me to type 1 before long distance calls.

How do you expect Comcast to tell whether the first 3 digits are the area code or the exchange code if you don't indicate it with a 1? Years ago this was possible because they had different digit patterns (see the Wikipedia page on North American Numbering Plan), but when they ran out of area codes they started overlapping, so the 1 became necessary to disambiguate.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

My cell phone (AT&T wireless) allows me to make calls without dialing '1'.  Not sure how the system works, but I imagine that if you dial 10 digits the system should be smart enough to know that the first 3 are the area code.

Also, before I switched to Comcast, I was on Vonage and I was able to use the Caller ID number to return calls.  I can't remember if  Vonage did not require the '1' or if their Caller ID system listed numbers with the country code.  But if Comcast's system could do either of those things, the problem would be solved.

Contributor

I have Vonage now and have never had to dial the 1 before the area code.  It does not appear in caller ID and I don't have to dial the 1, ever.  Works the same as a cell phone.  Never need the 1 in the US to dial any phone number, long distance or local.
Email Expert

Does Vonage allow you to dial only 7 digits? If it requires 10 digits for everything, then it doesn't need to disambiguate, because the first 3 are always the area code.

Cell phones don't dial until you hit the green connect button, so they can see how many digits you dialed. Regular phones don't have that button, so they can't tell when you're finished dialing the phone number. They look at the first digit; if you start with a 1 they expect 10 digits, otherwise they expect only 7 digits.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Contributor

Yep, I can just dial 7 digits within my area code on Vonage.  I can either type the 7 digit number then press talk, like a cell, or I can press talk and hear the dial tone first, then just dial 7 digits.  Works either way.
Contributor

also, i think every cordless phone has a talk button, which functions the same as the cell send button.
Email Expert

On my cordless phone I have to press the Talk button before I start dialing. And if I press it after I start dialing, it turns the handset off, it doesn't send the digits.

It works the same as the cellphone Send button when receiving calls, but not when making them. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon