Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Retain phone number

New Poster

Retain phone number

I've been given si many different answers to this issue. I need to know 100% yes or no
Cable Expert

Re: Retain phone number

What are you asking?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Placed order with Comcast for phone.  When they tried to transport my number, they got an error.  My number is currently in use at Sprint, and is the number for "Sprint Phone Connect" which is an alternative for a land line.  Sprint has agreed to let me out of contract.  I'm trying to figure out why Comcast can't transport number.  Is it because it is coming from Sprint, which usually has cell phones.  Also the name for my Sprint phone is my name, and my comcast account is under my wifes name.  Coudl that be the problem?

Frequent Visitor

Additional question.  Changing numbers is a MAJOR problem.  However, I'm tempted to go ahead an place teh order with Comcast and get a new number.  Then try to port it over later.  I'm assuming Sprint will just release the number.  How does that work?

Cable Expert

I think you are better off leaving your number where you are now.  The issue might be that your number is not in the local geograhic area as your physical location.  Comcast is more fussy on porting when the number is not considered a "local" number to you location.  Wireline to wireline in the same area goes easy.  Any odd situation where it's a softphone or cell complicates it greatly.

Here's the link to the FCC rules on porting.

In your case it might be impossible, and if the number is important you need to leave it where it is now.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

What is odd is that thsi number used to be with Comcast.  Then I ported it to MajicJack.  (You get what you pay for.), then Sprint (a little better but poor soudn quality).  Now back to Comcast.

Cable Expert

Well isn't that interesting, that it used to be a Comcast number, they certainly should be able to get it back.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I think I'm going to take a chance.  Maybe eventually Sprint Phone Connect will be  a good product, but not now.  I think others share my thoughts.  On Sprint Community review of the product 70% said they would not recommend it.  22 out of 34 people rated it 1 or 2 stars.