Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Removing the Interrupted Dialtone for Answering Machine Only Customers

New Poster

Removing the Interrupted Dialtone for Answering Machine Only Customers

We've always preferred an answering machine to voicemail so we never completed the voicemail setup procedure after having phone service installed.  Soon however, we began receiving an interrupted dialtone when placing calls as if we had unheard messages. Verifying this using the handset would have required setting up the feature, and the voicemail section of the website was unavailable presumably because the service had never been setup. So, I made the mistake of addressing the issue by chatting with a support rep. The individual who answered simply could not understand what the problem was, and kept insisting there was nothing wrong with the service. So, he had me follow generic troubleshooting steps like switching phones and checking cables. After patronizing him for about 15 minutes, I finally hung up and decided to call instead. On the contrary, this person was very pleasant, focused, and efficient. She immediately understood the issue and solved it by deleting the voicemail service from my account on their end. I thanked her and wanted strongly to express my satisfaction, but I unfortunately opted out of the survey offered before the call that would have otherwise followed the call. I sincerely hope the young lady is acknowledged for her excellent service.

Service Expert

Re: Removing the Interrupted Dialtone for Answering Machine Only Customers

hsabaw wrote:

We've always preferred an answering machine to voicemail so we never completed the voicemail setup procedure after having phone service installed.  Soon however, we began receiving an interrupted dialtone when placing calls as if we had unheard messages. Verifying this using the handset would have required setting up the feature, and the voicemail section of the website was unavailable presumably because the service had never been setup. So, I made the mistake of addressing the issue by chatting with a support rep. The individual who answered simply could not understand what the problem was, and kept insisting there was nothing wrong with the service. So, he had me follow generic troubleshooting steps like switching phones and checking cables. After patronizing him for about 15 minutes, I finally hung up and decided to call instead. On the contrary, this person was very pleasant, focused, and efficient. She immediately understood the issue and solved it by deleting the voicemail service from my account on their end. I thanked her and wanted strongly to express my satisfaction, but I unfortunately opted out of the survey offered before the call that would have otherwise followed the call. I sincerely hope the young lady is acknowledged for her excellent service.

Sometimes, like almost everything else in life, another set of ears to listen and act are always the best option!  So glad you got it fixed!  : )

-=Geek=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Re: Removing the Interrupted Dialtone for Answering Machine Only Customers

I opted out of using Voice Mail, preferring calls go to the answering machine. But, still getting charged for VM Services, according to my billing statements. If I'm "frozen" out of VM and can't use any of the features, why should I be paying for it?