New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: can hear other party;they can't hear me

ANSWERED
New Poster

I've been having this problem for a week, off and on.  It seemed to go away for a while after Comcast did some wholesale maintenance last night, but then resurfaced a minute or so into a phone conversation a couple of hours ago.  (San Francisco, CA.) 

The customer service rep on the phone (had to use my cell to contact her, of course) had no idea what the problem might be. 

Between this and the eight-hour outage after heavy rains a couple of months ago, I have to wonder if Comcast is serious about playing in the big leagues of phone service.  Ma Bell had -- has -- many faults, but reliability was not one of them.  If Comcast can't provide reliable phone service when nothing in particular is going wrong, why should we expect it to be resilient in the face of disaster, e.g., an earthquake?  That, after all, is why some of us still pay for landlines. 

Accepted Solution

Thank you much for the quick response!  I will try that. 

View answer in context
Cable Expert

Call support back and insist on getting a tech out to check the signal levels and noise on the drop to your place.

Many times noise on the coax causes poor return between the eMTA and the node causing this.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Can hear other party; other party can't hear me

If the subject sounds familiar, it's because it's exactly the same symptoms as in another thread from the end of December.  However, that thread apparently is "read-only" now and the followup I sent there vanished. 

At any rate, this problem started last week (the 10th) and has been bafflingly intermittent.  I thought that a modem reset last night (by Comcast) and another one this morning (by me, to restore my phone and Internet service) had finally fixed it, but it resurfaced several hours ago. 

It is highly disconcerting to be in the middle of talking, only to hear the person on the other end asking, "Hello?  Hello?  Are you still there?"  Plus, answering machines and voicemail systems kick you off when confronted by silence. 

Is Comcast really up to playing in the big leagues of phone service?  In addition to this absurd problem, I had a more than 12-hour interruption of my service last month because my area experienced heavy rains.  Back in 1989, AT&T kept a dial tone going in spite of a magnitude 7 earthquake! 

I keep a landline for just such emergencies.  I have serious doubts about the wisdom of trusting Comcast with that landline, though, considering it can't even get my basic phone service right when the sun is shining and the earth is quiescent. 

New Poster

Thank you much for the quick response!  I will try that. 

Contributor

Hi,

Just an FYI that Ma Bell isn't the Ma Bell of days gone by. Last year, I had a static on line problem and it took them 7 months to fix the problem. You heard right; 7 months! AND, they only fixed it when I went out with the tech and showed him where the problem was (and how to fix it). Luckily, I was a tier III support person for these goons when I worked at Ma Bell for over 35 years. Anyway, I really think they were stalling the fix with hopes I would switch to FIOS but I held out and got a full 7 month refund. During all this time, my Comcast phone worked perfectly and that is why I was able to be patient with these goons from Verizon. Each one would come out and tell me a different story on what needed to be fixed but they couldn't do it that day. So I waited, and waited, and THAT DAY never came. Finally, I got an older tech and he was reasonable enough to care about my problem. I will never switch to FIOS! I would rather just have a cell phone if necessary but as long as Comcast prices remain reasonable, I will stay with them.

New Poster

I've been having the same problem for over a month now.  Constantly getting "are you there?" responses.  About 2 weeks ago Comcast tech came out and replaced modem and coax connectors.   I thought the problem had gone away but about 3 days later it came back again.  Now it appears more often each day.  The problem seems to occur at the start of the communication and after a couple of minutes into the conversation it stops having the problem.

I wonder if Comcast is having some sort of network problems.  I installed the PingPlotter Freeware and it shows instances of packet losses.  I don't know how to proceed from here.  I guess it is another call to tech support.

P.S. Anyone know if it is normal for the modem (EMTA) to have a blinking Link light?

Contributor

The packet loss is most likely your problem. Comcast may need to come out and check your levels and do some rewiring as necessary. I had a similar problem, when I first went to Comcast voice, and they found a connection problem at their outside pedestal. As far as the blinking light goes, it would be easier for one of the gurus to answer your question if you identified the model name/number and the light that is blinking.

Contributor

Sorry that I misread your last post. I missed that you had identified the blinking light as the Link light. Now, in my case, I only use the EMTA for voice and I have a separate modem for data/internet connectivity. However, I believe that a blinking Link light would indicate normal activity (for combo use) but I would ask one of the gurus to confirm my suspicions.

New Poster

Did you say Ma Bell?  Ma Bell?  LOL ROFL!

Only someone over 40 would know what that means.  Be more specific.  Southern Bell, Pacific Northwest Bell, etc.

Contributor

Bell of Pennsylvania.

New Poster

This happens to me several times a day. I have even bought new phones... best ones according to Consumer Reports. I am so not happy with Comcast on so many levels. 

New Poster

This problem has started for me again. I restart modems and everything else. I have been holding for comcast support for twenty minutes. I wonder if they will ever answer and ever be able to do anything. Actually someone just picked up and then hung up on me. This service sticks and I wish my town had other options.
New Poster

I'm so glad I chimed in here. I have had the worst experience ever with comcast! It's crazy!!! Every time I call their customer service I wait for over 30-30 minutes only to be disconnected. I'm having the same problem with the other party nor being able to hear me. Mine is a business phone and I'm so annoyed. I look like a complete moron to my company. I would go with ATT but they don't offer DSL where I live. Telecommunications is ridiculously complicated theses days. Very bummed.
Contributor

@Mlingle: These one-way transmission problems are more common than one might think and can happen on local calls as well as long-distance calls without respect to who is providing your services. Moreoevr, the problem could very well be on the other end too (eg, the person you are trying to call). To resolve this issue, you'll first need to be very specific about the conditions that trigger these "can't hear one way" problems. With that said, does it only happen when you call one specific person, local exchange, or area code? If you can narrow the problem area down a bit, you might be able to get this issue resolved because it usually boils down to a digital trunking issue between two points and you'll need to be very specific when generating a trouble report of this nature. One more thing, I'm not sure how any DSL service would serve to correct your specific issue.

Good luck.

Contributor

Aha! After some searching, I found this post which reports the same problem I am having with the Comcast phone. I can hear you, but you can't hear me. It even happend today with a call to Comcast. Been going on for months and is recently getting very bad--almost every other call. Tried a new comcast modem (May 2014). Nope! Service tech came out 5/19, changed all the connections and said all looked good. Nope!

I also get frequent signal drops on my modem--lights flick off many many times each day. Of course, when that happens the phone goes totally dead which I can understand. However, the "I can hear you, you can't hear me" happens even when all the lights are steady and the internet is working.

I saw an earlier thread from 2012 reporting this exact problem, but it did not allow new posts. 

I guess thats all I got. Cell phones here I come!

ron. Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

Having the same issue where I can hear the other party, but after a few minutes, they cannot hear me.  Typically happens a minute or so into the conversation.  Doesn't matter if I place the call, or if the call is inbound.  Local and long distance calls impacted.  Had technician come out to take a look today, and they found nothing.  I have multiple phones in the house, so I wanted to rule out a wiring issue since they are all connected to a hub, but even after connecting a single phone line directly into the back of the modem, the problem persists.  Pretty sure it is packet loss.  I might add that the call never drops.  Has anyone had any resolution to this issue from Comcast?  Before the technician left, he was kind enough to give me the number of his local supervisor in case I continued to have issues.  I called, but never received a callback.  Perhaps he will call tomorrow.  Will let everyone know if my problem is resolved.

Contributor

I had the same problem for many months. Finally, a Comcast tech came out about 3 weeks ago. This man had a small device that measures signal strength, and my signal was weak. Turns out, the cable from the street was old and degraded. Replaced that and like magic, problem solved. Also, I had one splitter that was not up to par.

You very likely have a weak signal. See if you can contact Comcast and get a tech who knows all about the signal and has one of these devices that can measure the signal. He should be able to find the weak wires or splitters.

Good luck.

ron.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Ron.  The local supervisor did call me back today, and sent out a technician to check for ingress (signal leakage) on the cable coming into my house.  Tech said that signal had none, which was a relief.  They plan on running diagnostic tests on my modem for the next few days to see if there is packet loss.  Might add that I was on the phone all day today, and never had a problem (yesterday was horrible).  Perhaps the network guys made some tweaks in the last day or so (internet speeds were recently increased from 50 to 100MB service in our area).  Guess I will know more next week after the tests are complete. 

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE 7/23/14:  I am happy to report that the issue I was experiencing with Xfinity voice seems to have been resolved <crossing fingers>  As I noted in my previous post, Comcast was supposed to run dianostics on my connection for a few days and let me know if there was any packet loss.  I did not hear back from anyone, so I contacted the local office and got VM and left a message indicating that I was still having intermittent problems.  I never did recieve a callback, but a week or so after Comcast promised to run diagnostics, the problems were still occurring.  Perhaps it was just a coincidence, but one morning I noticed a Comcast serviceman working from his bucket truck on the line down my driveway.  My internet connection dropped momentarily, and came back on fairly quickly.  I have not had the issue since.  For that, I am extremely pleased, and hope that puts that problem to rest.  Normally, that would be the end of the story.  But, as we all know, any contact with Comcast usually generates a problem or error with your bill.  So, I went online today to view my statement, and you guessed it, my statement had issues.  My bill was higher than normal, and I quickly found the issue.  A one time charge labeled NO TRUCK COS FEE for $2.99, and another charge for NO SPP VIDEO for $40.00.  I contacted billing, and she indicated that I was being charged becuase I did not have the protection plan for my home (which I don't).  I explained that I contacted Comcast becuase of a problem with my service, and that technicians came onsite and tested all my wiring and equipment and found no problems.  I also indicated that I was fully aware of how it works, and told the support rep that I would pay the fee if the problem was due to any faulty wiring in my house. But since their own technicians confirmed that the issue was not related to my wiring, there was no way I should be paying this fee.  I told her it made no sense.  In essence, they are holding me hostage and double dipping by telling me I could avoid the fee if I purchased the protection plan monthly.  How would I report an issue in the future if I didn't have their protection plan?   By that rationale, I should never call Comcast to report a problem, because I would get charged if no problems are found?  I am paying for a service that isn't working, and you want to tack on an additional service fee so I can avoid charges when the problem is on the Comcast side?  I don't know, the word extortion comes to mind.  Anyhow, the Comcast rep (required a callback from a supervisor) was nice and did waive the charges (of course, she added that this was done as a one time courtesy).   In fairness to the rep, she was going by the codes that were in front of her (more on that in a second)  Throughout this entire process, I would like to stress that the folks I worked with at Comcast were professional, and in the end, resolved my phone problem.  The problem is that I should have never had to go through the biling nightmare in the first place.  Comcast has gotten so large, that they try to take the approach that one size fits all.  Automated billing, centralized call centers, codes automatically applied to work orders,local problems trying to be resolved from 1000 miles away, entertainment packages that differ from location to location, etc.etc....I think that everyone who reads these forums could add to the list. Now this merger talk scares the h*** out of me.  I really would like to know how this would improve the customer experience.   If the Comcast-Time Warner merge goes through, I would suggest purchasing a bottle of whiskey before making a call to report a problem, and holding on to your wallet.  You will thank me later. 

Contributor

I would suggest Jack Daniels, good stuff. I guess the main thing is that the problem is fixed. Luckily for me, I have not had billing problems so far, knock on wood.

good luck,

ron.

New Poster

It's been MONTHS since I've been able to hold an uninterrupted conversation due to the party on the other end not being able to hear me and it's getting exponentially more and more frustrating!  It all started when we decided to upgrade to the newest modem.  YES, I activated all services, but everytime I'm speaking with anyone, whether local or long distance, at some point during the conversation, they are unable to hear me or say that I sound garbled or like I'm under water.  I have even traded in one modem for another, hoping this would rectify the problem but it was to no avail.  There are times when I can't even answer the phone when it rings - not quite sure why this is - nor am I able to access caller ID or make outgoing calls (Message on phone shows "Not available at this time.")  I have done everything except call for a tech to come to the house - because I don't want to find that I need to "pay" to have a solution to this problem - I've already lost enough money paying for phone services that are totally unsatisfactory or accessible.  Not sure where that leaves me....Getting tired of dealing with Comcast representatives who keep telling me that "everything seems to be working on our end, the problem must be with you!"  ANY suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated...have been a loyal Comcast customer for many years now...but may have to consider giving my loyalty/money to another provider.

Contributor

I can relate; been there. First thing, check all your connections and splitters. In my case, the signal was weak coming in from the street and I had a bad splitter. See if you can put your modem on an unsplit or direct line and try to narrow down the location of the problem before calling in for help.

good luck

ron,

Frequent Visitor

I received a callback from the local operations supervisor this morning, and he informed me that my particular problem was due to some leakage that was detected farther down the lines.  Apparently, a tree had fallen and knocked loose a connection, which they promptly repaired.   Voice has been running great every since. 

Contributor

Looks like for those having this problem, its usually a weak signal thats the culprit.

ron.