Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: bought my own modem, can I return the one comcast provided?

Regular Visitor

Re: bought my own modem, can I return the one comcast provided?

"Do you have Comcast Digital Voice? If you do you will have to get a telephony modem which are available at Best Buy stores with a Comcast kiosk."

Sorry in advance for being a tech nitwit.  I have both a Docsis 2.0 cable modem (in the den) and a Thomson/RCA voice modem (in the basement) as part of my Triple Play setup.  Can I replace the cable modem with a 3.0 version without worrying about doing anything regarding my current voice modem, or do I need to specifically get a cable modem that is compatible with the voice modem setup?

Cable Expert

Re: bought my own modem, can I return the one comc

Yes, if you have separate modem and eMTA, you can return the modem and purchase your own modem, and not need to purchase a eMTA..

If you keep the rental eMTA for the phone, you will still be paying the monthly fee for it, you will not be saving yourself any money, but have the advantage of a D3 modem.

What ever you do, get and keep the returned equipment receipt and store it in a safe place forever in case there is a issue with Comcast wanting to charge you for your own modem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon