Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: Tel 1 light blinking and all phones are on the

New Poster

I just had Comcast cable internet installed yesterday.  I only have internet and no other services.  Why is Tel 1 blinking on the front panel of my Gateway modem?  Can it be turned off?  I called customer support and they said just to ignore it.  They also confirmed that I only have internet service and no phone service.  It is annoying.

Problem Solver

You have a telephony modem which Comcast usually only gives to people who have phone service. You might also have a telephony gateway which also has wireless routing built in. If you have your own wireless router you can certainly trade in your telephony modem for just a regular cable modem but if you have a gateway that is supplying your wireless routing and you don't want to buy a router ignore the light.

Regular Contributor

it will not hurt anything with it flashing. even though billing may have you as not having phone service, the back end could still be configured for it. if you have a phone connected to it, disconnect it. other wise, if it bothers you, try to have the issue escalated to see if they can check the backend system.