Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: Question about XFinity Voice

New Poster

So I guess that the help desk person gave me bad information.  So if I understand it correctly, the way to go is to see if it cost effective to cancel XFinity Voice for my mother-in-law, get her an account with ViaTalk and just set her up the same way that I have my phone service set up.  Because I think that what you are saying is that to use XFinity Voice I need to have a cable modem with a built in phone jack.

And I know from current experience that you CAN have a VOIP phone service like ViaTalk or Vonage on a Comcast account with a separate  VOIP phone adapter, because that is my exact setup right now.  All I have is Comcast internet.  No Voice, no TV, nothing.

Ironically, you said something about asking Comcast about what the approved devices are.  Already having asked Comcast is what led to me purchasing the modem that I purchased.  So hopefully, when I contact Comcast the NEXT time on this issue, I will get better information.

Silver Problem Solver

If you want to keep comcast voice I'd suggest getting the Arris TM822G, you would have to go to your local office rather than call, to make sure that they allow customer owned EMTA modems (phone/internet) in your area some don't. They are a tad more expensive. Always buy new not used open box or refurb/

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-TM822G-Touchstone%C2%AE-Ultra-High-Telephony/dp/B00721TUNS

The problem if you do cancel Comcast Voice, any promo that the MIL is currently in would be lost. Or if not in a promo the discount for bundling services would be lost., and the price could rise a little.

Good Luck!