Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: New wiring required?

New Poster

Just today had almost same experience. I was having trouble with my wi fi disconnecting. Thought it was just a bad modem. The tech which I do beleive was striaght from comcast said my internet was running slow checked my connections down stairs and said I needed all wiring changed to make internet go faster. We were about ready to do it then I made him check what speed I actually had (we just have basic) come to find out 7 was all we had to begin with??? Our home is 23 years old??? So I made him change the modem and everything seems to be fine???  Said I had cable leakage? Would possibly think of having it replaced at some time but wonder if I really need it??? I am  leary thinking they are trying to get more$$$.

Service Expert

ksyrium wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what a DMARK box is but can I assume that what you are saying is that the existing service is "unplugged" and the new Xfinity Voice based service is "plugged in" in its place?  And thus everything downstream like my home phones and the alarm will effecitvely not know that anything has changed?

As for your #2, I assume this is just how you opted to do things but is not a must-do for me?

Thanks for the thumbs-up on the ADT service.

1.  The DMARK is the box outside that your prior phone service came into.... from there the phone wires (normally) are routed from wallplate to wallplate and Back again, makint it a LOOPED system...in case one of the wires gets cut, your phone system is still working...

2.  Not all TECHS will do this.... I had to do it myself because the TECH just installed the gateway and left....   hint:  If he/she does this the jacks on the back are labeled TEL1 and TEL2... if one doesn't work, try the other...  Fortunately in a former life, I was a Master Electrician...

3.  You WILL have some disruption in service.... no more than a couple of hours until your phone service is provisioned correctly...

4.  Also, ADT offers cellular backup which I do have just in case the phone line is cut by a smart-crook....

Hope this helps.

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon