Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: How do I hook up additional phones?

Regular Visitor

I just added Comcast Voice (already had internet & cable).  Yes, you can have all of your phones where you had them before using the same wall outlets you used for landline.  Comcast customer service (over the phone) wasn't much help with my installation.  I had to research and figure it out on my own, or otherwise, wait 5 days for a technician to come out.  A phone plugged directly into the modem would work, but other phones in the house wouldn't.  Here's how I did it...I went outside to the gray box attached to the house, opened it and unplugged the AT&T (landline) connection (there are directions inside the box on how to do this).  Then viola,  all inside phone outlets/phones suddenly worked.  Surely, Comcast reps should know this.  I hope this saves you the trouble and wasted time I went through.  

Contributor

In Comcast's defense, their responsibility is getting you a dial tone at the eMTA (modem). If you wish to back feed it to the other jacks in your house or bridge it through your alarm system, that's your responsibility. If someone is not technical enough to know how to do it, then that's why Electricians and telecom technicians are around.
New Poster

Thank you, you saved me a $39 service charge. The support guy told me they had to send someone to fix it. I read your message and pulled the plug an "viola"  all of my outlets work. Why couldn't he just tell me to do that!