Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: Home phone number porting nightmare process is

New Poster

Wow, I guess I am not the only one with phone # porting issues!  I have been attempting to get my former Comcast phone number, which I ported to MagicJack less than a year ago, ported back to Comcast.  It has been over 2 months and numerous hours on the phone with Customer Service, Phone Techs and Porting.  I sat for over an hour today with another woman Rep, who worked all that time to try and save the day and get the number ported, only to have her say that she could not do it.  She said that the reason I could not port the number was that the area that I live now has a 224 area code and the number I was attempting to port was 630. She says the system will not allow her to port the 630 number to this 224 area.

I have lived at this address for 20 years and I got the 630 phone number, when it was split from the 708 area code in 1996.  All of my neighbors are still 630 and I want my 630 phone number back.  According to the FCC: "Under the Federal Communications Commission’s “local number portability” (LNP) rules, so long as you remain in the same geographic area, you can switch telephone service providers, including interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers, and keep your existing phone number. If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you. Therefore, subscribers remaining in the same geographic area can switch from a wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider to any other wireless, wireline or VoIP provider and still keep their existing phone numbers."

I have gone through the proper porting process, as the FCC outlines in its guidelines and MagicJack is aware that my number is to be ported.  I have done the 3rd party verification.  I have the same voice ready and Internet modem as I had when I last had Comcast Voice service and still run Comcast Internet Service.  I have given my MagicJack login and password to 3 different Technicians. Nothing but the phone Rj11 connector has been disconnected from the modem.  

So, Comcast, please get the number ported and commission my modem, so that I can plug in my phone start paying you for Voice service again.  And please clean up your poor training and communication within your Customer Service and Technical Departments.  It seems that the only ones that have a clue are your Service Technicians. 

Thank you,

Laura Campbell

Quality Engineer / Quality Supervisor / B.S. in Computer Networking and Telecommunications Management / M.B.A.

P.S. I'd be happy to give you all the depressing details of my " number porting nightmare", if you will use it as a learning experience to take corrective action.

Cable Expert

Since this is a user to user community forum, you are not posting to any Comcast rep's that can help.

Please send a email to the Corp team at we_can_help@cable.comcast.com and give details including you contact information.  They will get the right people involved to get you an answer.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon